Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Friends Who Have Passed On
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2016, 04:42 PM

Default The Passing of a GREAT! Red Marron

Many of you new comers here may have never heard of Red Marron. If not, you missed out on knowing a SUPER person. Red & I built our RV-6s side by side in my garage in Plano, TX from 1989-1993. Our airplanes flew with 2 days of each other.
Red, along with John Stewart was the driving force behind the RV fly-in that started in Burlington, CO. and eventually became the LOE Fly-In. For those of you that don't know, that stands for Land Of Enchantment.
Land Of Enchantment is the motto of New Mexico and the fly-in was held in Las Cruces and later moved to Santa Teresa, NM.
Red was a VERY popular guy and never did anything half way.
I have often asked people if they had met Red. Some times they would say, "Well I think I have." Then I would say, "Nope you haven't. If you met Red, you would know it."
Red passed away Wednesday morning at his daughter Amy's house in Grapevine, TX. Services are scheduled for Saturday Jan. 9 at 2PM. The location is the Lucas Funeral Home in Grapevine, TX. BTW Saturday would have been Red's 83rd Birthday.

HE WILL BE MISSED BY MANY!
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 01-09-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:26 PM

I never met him but wish him Blue skies and tailwinds!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:27 PM

I met Red at LOE 2005 (the same year I first met Mel and Ann, DR, Jay Pratt, Rosie and several others). Red was absolutely a class act, and I'm pretty sure he never met a stranger his whole life. Blue skies and tailwinds, Red...you've earned them!
VAF #136
Old 01-08-2016, 06:30 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Sorry to hear he is gone - but he will never be forgotten!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 PM

A toast to the west!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:08 PM

A great man that put on a great fly in at Las Cruces where I met him........
Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 PM

Default RIP Red

He was an influence to many RV builders during those years. RIP Red.
Granbury, Tx
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/WYQQ#history/assets
Old 01-09-2016, 01:02 AM

Default THE REST OF THE STORY

Many, many years ago before Van's Aircraft even envisioned a concept of pre-punched kits, a few builders sat around discussing the idea of a RV fly-in. John Stewart accepted this call, back in the late nineties, and ended up hosting the first five RV fly-in's in Burlington, Colorado.

I was standing with John on the ramp at Burlington's airport around noon the day before the first RV fly-in was to start. A lot of work had gone into preparation and the discussion and even fear was would anyone even come to this first fly-in? As we were finishing up a few final details on the ramp, the characteristic open exhaust note from an experimental aircraft was heard in the distance. Could this be the first person to arrive at the first RV Fly-in?

A beautiful red white and blue RV-6 was soon rolling out on the runway with us anxious to meet the first arrival! The RV-6 rolled to a stop on the ramp and the tip-up canopy opened as the prop stopped. A booming joyful voice echoed out to us, "Mighty fine day boys. Is this Clovis, New Mexico?" I'm not sure which felt worse, the fact this was not our first arrival to the first RV fly-in, or the fact this poor fellow was so bad a pilot he missed his destination by three hundred miles!! I remember John saying in a somewhat saddened way, to this man sitting in his RV, "No, this is Burlington, Colorado." The RVer said seriously, "Thank you boys. Could you kindly point me in the direction of Clovis, New Mexico?" I remember slowly looking towards John, seeing his hand raised just as mine was, pointing to the south. Each of us, without comment to the other, shared the same thought about this poor, lost pilot...

When we looked back at the RV, the canopy was closed and the prop turning. We both stood there in that brief moment watching the RV taxi out, take off and disappear over the horizon in the direction we had pointed, in total disbelief this just happened!

It was a good ten or even fifteen minutes later when our continued discussion about this crazy pilot was broken by the distant sound of another open exhaust airplane approaching! Would "this" be the first person to arrive at the first RV fly-in? You can't imagine our dismay when the same red white and blue RV-6 landed for the second time, taxing up to the same spot on the ramp, shutting down with the canopy opening the same habitual way and the pilot in the most serious way asking, "What did you say the name of this town was boys?" Both John and I under our breath said the same thing, "Really? You've got to be kidding!" John kindly responded, "Burlington, Colorado!" The pilot was now climbing out of his beautiful RV as he said, "This looks to be a mighty fine town. I think if you boys don't mind, I'll just stay here a couple days.."

Who was one of those instrumental in getting the Land of Enchantment Fly-in started? Who holds the title to being the first person to arrive at the first RV Fly-in? Who can claim title to being the second person to land at the first RV Fly-in?

You see, Red Marron holds the title to all.... What an introduction John and I had to such a great man that found positive fun in everything he did and touched. I am so honored to have known Red and can call him my friend...

And now you all know the rest of the story.

Jim Baker
jimmyB
RV-6

Last edited by rv699jb : 01-09-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:39 AM

Default Great mentor

I met Red early in my interest in RV's. Flew with a friend to the fly in at Las Cruses. His enthusiasm for our passion of RV's was unequaled. He will be missed.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Painted and Complete
2021 Gold Lindy Grand Champion Kit Plane
Old 01-09-2016, 07:20 AM

Mel, I am sorry not to have ever met your friend Red.

I feel for your loss. I am sure that he was a #ell of a great guy!

CJ