- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Default Bagels and Cream cheese

You know you've been at it a little too much when you feel compelled to sand your bagel after meticulously filling all the nooks and crannies with cream cheese.

Thankfully after a couple weeks of daily work on the cabin top, I can say it's finally done, painted, and almost fully installed. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty good if I do say so myself.

http://airplane.athomeinthewilburnes...eady-to-mount/
Old 01-01-2016, 01:02 PM

awesome work. i just pulled my cabin top off yesterday so we can pretty up the interior portion and paint. you do great work!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon900guy View Post
... you do great work!
Very kind words. I just wish it didn't take me four tries to get anything right...
Old 01-01-2016, 06:21 PM

Here's a related question:

I keep hearing about lumps and bumps on the RV-10 top. How do you perfectly fair the outside shape so the lumps and bumps go away? I'm familiar with filling pinholes and knocking down rough areas, but I'm not sure how you go about fairing a depression <say> that interrupts a smooth convex surface.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 01-01-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilbur View Post
You know you've been at it a little too much when you feel compelled to sand your bagel after meticulously filling all the nooks and crannies with cream cheese.

Thankfully after a couple weeks of daily work on the cabin top......
I'm sorry but after reading this, I can't get an image of an RV-10 with a LOX toupee out of my mind.....
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Yeah. The boss got a Silhouette Cameo 4 Xmas 2019.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Here's a related question:

I keep hearing about lumps and bumps on the RV-10 top. How do you perfectly fair the outside shape so the lumps and bumps go away? I'm familiar with filling pinholes and knocking down rough areas, but I'm not sure how you go about fairing a depression <say> that interrupts a smooth convex surface.
There are experts to answer this question. .... But I wonder (if the depression is large) if you can epoxy in some foam to complete the surface and then cover it with glass cloth to build back the smooth convex shape. If the depression is small enough, I'll bet you can can just use an epoxy/flox mix alone to build up the shape you want.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilbur View Post
There are experts to answer this question. .... But I wonder (if the depression is large) if you can epoxy in some foam to complete the surface and then cover it with glass cloth to build back the smooth convex shape. If the depression is small enough, I'll bet you can can just use an epoxy/flox mix alone to build up the shape you want.
I should rephrase the question. I can figure out how to fill a low area, but the question is how to sand an area like that so it matches the overall curve of the top. Long flexible sanding boards? I can't imagine that a small sanding apparatus (1/2 sheet sanding block, DA sander, whatever) would give you an accurately faired shape.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 01-02-2016, 07:54 AM

Default good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I should rephrase the question. I can figure out how to fill a low area, but the question is how to sand an area like that so it matches the overall curve of the top. Long flexible sanding boards? I can't imagine that a small sanding apparatus (1/2 sheet sanding block, DA sander, whatever) would give you an accurately faired shape.
Good question. I don't know how you'd do that. I'd probably get what I could with one of the flexible sanding boards I have and just do the rest by hand. There's probably a better way, though, I'm sure. I hope we get an answer from one of the resident experts.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:03 AM

Kyle, to get at the context of your question, the outside of the RV-10 top is the mold side, and is in great shape as shipped. Very minor flaws, at most. Filling the weave is the major job. The inside is rough because this is the bag side. But, nothing that sanding and filling can't fix. I too went the painted route, and really like the look.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:35 AM

Default A LOT of filling and sanding...

The fiberglass work on the cabin top as delivered was the most disappointing part of the kit...

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+