- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:46 PM

Default New pilot in Socal

Hi guys. I'm a new pilot (just passed my check-ride for light sport 2 weeks ago!!). I'm interested in buying an RV6 and was wondering if there's anyone here in Socal who would like to meet up/ hang out/ fly and let me pick their brains a little.

My plan is to get an RV6 and find someone who will train me in it for me to get my private certificate. The trick is to find a CFI who also has experience in an RV and willing to train me in it.

If there's anyone here who has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking at an RV6 right now to buy and it seems like a great deal, so I'll need to act on it soon. But I want to make sure I can find someone who will train me in it before buying.

Thanks in advance for all your comments/ suggestions.

Brian
Old 12-28-2015, 10:12 PM

I'm sure Mike will come along soon to be the official welcomer, but welcome to the good ship. I can't help with your need, but wanted to welcome you and say Congratulations on becoming a pilot and it's good to hear that you're not stopping at Sport Pilot.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:49 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flyingyogi View Post
Hi guys.
Brian
Hi Brian. to VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-29-2015, 01:53 AM

Default Reply in PM

Bryan - I've sent you a PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM

.... I have 3 instructors in the inland empire that would be very happy to work with you. If this isn't too far away for you just let us know and I will introduce you to them. Two of these guys have RVs themselves. Thanks, Allan
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 12-29-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTech View Post
.... I have 3 instructors in the inland empire that would be very happy to work with you. If this isn't too far away for you just let us know and I will introduce you to them. Two of these guys have RVs themselves. Thanks, Allan
Thanks Allan. Yes, I'm very interested. It is a bit far from me (I'm in Long Beach and have been flying out of Torrance KTOA). But I'll take whatever I can get right now.

In fact, I need to find a CFI ASAP and confirm that I can get instruction in it before I buy. The deal is going through and the seller will be here to do the inspection in about a week. But I don't want to commit yet until I'm 100% sure I have a CFI who will train me in it. Please have them contact me or give me their info so I can call them.

Thanks again! You/ they can also PM or email or text me. boosted_180@hotmail.com 714-397-2737
Old 12-29-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Hi and looking for a CFI

Hi. I'm new to the forum and a new pilot. Just passed my Sport Pilot check-ride 2 weeks ago and I'm super enthusiastic about flying and buying an RV6!

I'm working on a deal right now on what seems to be a great buy on an RV6. But before committing, I need to be sure I can find someone who will train me in it. I'm looking for a CFI in the SoCal area (Long Beach/ Torrance). The seller is scheduled to fly here for the pre-buy inspection next week, so I need to find a CFI soon. It would be great also just to meet up with other local RV owners. There's lots for me to learn, but I'm very excited about it. Hope my enthusiasm for flying doesn't wear off - I have not been this excited about something in a long time. =)

My goal is to get my Private Certificate and in the short term, get training in the RV to be comfortable enough that I can get signed off to solo in it. Then instead of wasting money renting, I can do the rest of my training for Private in my own airplane (which makes more sense anyway, b/c that's the plane I'll be flying after I'm done).

As far as hours, I already have about 50 (Private requirement is 40). I only need to take my written for private, which I plan to do soon, and get a few hours of training in night flying and instruments. That's about it, unless I'm missing something.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks. It's great to be here on the forum!
Old 12-29-2015, 02:11 PM

Default Sport Pilot?

I have never trained a sport pilot, so admittedly my understanding of "light sport" eligible aircraft is fuzzy. My fuzzy understanding leads me to the statement that an RV-6 is not a light sport eligible aircraft...by any means.

So...your plan is to buy an RV-6, and receive a tail wheel endorsement, and endorsement to fly the PPL practical in a new to you high[er] performance aircraft.

First...this CAN be done. But will bring with it some challenges.
-finding a CFI with RV time, comfortable teaching primary in it
-finding a CFI comfortable teaching tailwheel at the primary level, there are less and less in today's day.

Not insurmountable by any means; but I wonder if it might be a more comfortable, faster, and less expensive to finish your PPL in a spam can?

Bottom line: Is there a reason for the rush? Fill in the gaps for me.

POST SCRIPT EDIT: Congratulations on earning your wings!!
RV-4 / PA28-180

Last edited by Icarus : 12-29-2015 at 02:12 PM. Reason: forgot my manners
Old 12-29-2015, 03:29 PM

No, the RV6 is not an LSA. That's why I'm looking for a CFI to train me in it. If I were buying a Sonex or other LSA, then I would not need to do anything but just buy and fly it. =)

But since my goal is to eventually have a private certificate (which is not really that much more effort/ hours in addition to what I already have as Light Sport Pilot), I thought it would make a lot more sense to do the training in MY airplane than to train in something like a Cessna or other airplane I never intend on owning/ flying.

The reason for the rush is b/c it's a really good buy and if I don't act on it, I'm afraid I will lose it to another buyer. Otherwise, I have all the time in the world. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I have never trained a sport pilot, so admittedly my understanding of "light sport" eligible aircraft is fuzzy. My fuzzy understanding leads me to the statement that an RV-6 is not a light sport eligible aircraft...by any means.

So...your plan is to buy an RV-6, and receive a tail wheel endorsement, and endorsement to fly the PPL practical in a new to you high[er] performance aircraft.

First...this CAN be done. But will bring with it some challenges.
-finding a CFI with RV time, comfortable teaching primary in it
-finding a CFI comfortable teaching tailwheel at the primary level, there are less and less in today's day.

Not insurmountable by any means; but I wonder if it might be a more comfortable, faster, and less expensive to finish your PPL in a spam can?

Bottom line: Is there a reason for the rush? Fill in the gaps for me.

POST SCRIPT EDIT: Congratulations on earning your wings!!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:03 PM

I would recommend, as Paul said, getting your Private Pilot training first in a spam can. The RV-6 is a great airplane but it was not designed as a primary trainer. Things happen fast and it is not very forgiving of being mishandled.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>