What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Log book entries

Stan Bahrns

I am nearing the time to have my airplane inspected & would like to see the wording of some of the aircraft logs of ones that have already been inspected for ideas on the wording. I appreciate all the help I can get. Also does anyone know a good inspector in southern IL?
Thanks. Stan

The airworthiness sign off will come from your inspector. You will be given a sticker from them to place in your log book. You will later need to endorse your log book after you have completed the Phase I testing. In that endorsement you will need to declare that the plane has been flight tested for the required hours, that it is controllable throughout it's normal range of speeds and manuevers to be executed, and is safe for normal operation. You should list all the V speeds, any aerobatics tested, and IFR equipment tested.

Roberta

Engine Log

Roberta,
I am working on the engine log book as I majored the engine myself which came out of a wreck. I had all the parts inspected , rebuilt, etc & thought that all that has to be in the engine log before the inspector gets here. So I was wondering how much detail I had to go into. Also what should be in the aircraft logbook before he gets here. Your help & input is very much appreciated. Thanks, Stan

Stan Bahrns said:
I am nearing the time to have my airplane inspected & would like to see the wording of some of the aircraft logs of ones that have already been inspected for ideas on the wording. I appreciate all the help I can get. Also does anyone know a good inspector in southern IL?
Thanks. Stan
Stan:

You will need a condition inspection in accordance with the scope and details of Appendix D of FAR 43 has been completed by the owner / builder and an entry made in the aircraft log recording the inspection with the following or similarly worded statement. ?I certify this aircraft has had a condition inspection in accordance with the scope and details of Appendix D of FAR 43 and has been found in a condition for safe operation.? The entry will include the date, the aircraft total time in service, and the name, signature, and certificate type and number of the person performing the inspection. This condition inspection does not need to be done by an A&P. The Owner / Builder can do this inspection.

Use any format

Stan Bahrns said:
Roberta,
I am working on the engine log book as I majored the engine myself which came out of a wreck. I had all the parts inspected , rebuilt, etc & thought that all that has to be in the engine log before the inspector gets here. So I was wondering how much detail I had to go into. Also what should be in the aircraft logbook before he gets here. Your help & input is very much appreciated. Thanks, Stan

Remember the FAA does not use the term "log book".

They refer to "maintenance records".... your engine rebuild info could be in a separate three ring binder and maintained that way. You should keep track of all of the inspections and part/serial numbers of all the engine innards for future AD reference.. even if you are technically not needed to comply with ADs.

Electronic records have their own special requirements... if it's in a PC, I would print out an "official" copy.

Then the small commercially purchased "log book" could be used for on-going maintenance records when you start flying.

AC 43-9 and AC 43-12 help with what to write...

....hope this helps....

Last edited:
Experimental engine...

Stan,
Unless you're an A&P, the engine overhaul will have to be signed off by either an A&P or IA. If you cannot get it signed off (as in our case), you're gonna have to remove the engine data plate and give it a new name and serial number. e.g. Stan-the-man 0-360, serial # 111122 (we used our Van's airplane kit #) and your engine will become an experimental engine.

I engraved a new data plate and attached it with the four pins that were carefully pried out.

This whole mess was the reason the DAR wouldn't sign our inspection off the first go-around. Neither of us is an A&P and nobody would sign our engine overhaul off...can't blame them. Everything was yellow-tagged, crank, cam, lifters, new bearings, rings, oil pump (and AD complied with), new mags, carb and fuel pump!!

Regards,

Back