Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Default Losing power during extreme heat conditions

Today while I was busy with transition training (40 minutes in the flight) the Rotax engine started losing power at about 100ft AGL in the climb. I fly with 95 Shell Mogas. The engine has run for about 10 hours now, the tank was about half full, however the outside temp was 36.5⁰C or 98⁰F. As a result of the extreme heat in our part of the world I have moved the oil-cooler an inch forward which definitely help with the oil temperatures.

Did anybody experience this in extreme heat conditions? Is there a possibility that the fuel lines became too hot and resulted in the engine losing power? This was now the 2nd occurrence in extreme heat conditions and don?t want to fly any further until I have found the problem and or the solution.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 PM

Default Fuel flow

Assume pressure/flow were all in the green? If you are using Skyview you can chart all that data vs. RPM or MP.
RV-12, N913BC
2021 VAF Donation, please make yours too!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 01-05-2015, 01:21 PM

Vapor lock? Was the electric fuel pump "On" at the time? Indicated Fuel Pressure at the time? Did you do a fuel flow check as specified in the PAP plans to verify adequate fuel flow? Fuel tank vent holes open? Restricted fuel flow orifice and hoses correctly installed per the plans? I assume you have the standard RV-12 fuel line installation with fire sleeving. As Brent mentioned, your SV data read-out might offer some clues.
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,080+ hours (as of Oct 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2022.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Default Fuel flow vs power loss

Many thanks for your comments and thoughts. Yes the aircraft is Skyview equipped. The fuel pressure was in the green with the electric fuel pump on and has the standard RV12 fuel line installation with fire sleeving. Vapour lock was what I thought of also, maybe I will find something in the data.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:26 PM

Enjoy the warmth!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Did you have a long taxi prior to your takeoff or did you have a short break to refuel before your takeoff or were you doing touch and gos when this occurred?
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014
Old 01-05-2015, 03:28 PM

Also check your carb bowls for contamination and blockage of screens.
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 01-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauritz View Post
Today while I was busy with transition training (40 minutes in the flight) the Rotax engine started losing power at about 100ft AGL in the climb. I fly with 95 Shell Mogas. The engine has run for about 10 hours now, the tank was about half full, however the outside temp was 36.5⁰C or 98⁰F. As a result of the extreme heat in our part of the world I have moved the oil-cooler an inch forward which definitely help with the oil temperatures.

Did anybody experience this in extreme heat conditions? Is there a possibility that the fuel lines became too hot and resulted in the engine losing power? This was now the 2nd occurrence in extreme heat conditions and don’t want to fly any further until I have found the problem and or the solution.
Sorry to hear that, Mauritz. I can imagine how unnerving that must have been for you.During the summer in Tucson we easily reach 100degF and more and I have not experienced any issues during touch-gos or extended climbs. I too have moved my oil cooler about an inch forward, away from the muffler, and I run on highest octane Mogas most of the time. I have a switched fuel pump and I never run it unless the tank level is below 8 gallons or to pressurize the system before engine start.
So even during the searing heat of the summer I was not actively pushing fuel through the system to avoid vapor lock during my flights. However, after a flight and some time on the tarmac I do need to flush the system with the pump on to ensure a proper engine restart.
Hope you find the culprit soon!
RV-12: #120374, ELSA, N128TL flying since Nov 28, 2013 (Phase 1 completed 1/26/14)
SkyView, Light Package, ADSB
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/
APRS Track

Last edited by MacPara : 01-06-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2015, 09:57 AM

Spoke to Mauritz earlier and it seems that he has found the problem. Seems that the tank fuel vent pipe was pinched close. Apparently there is e new version out with a beefed up pipe.
http://www.rvbits.com
RV10 - ZU-XOX - (Flying)
RV7A - ZU-JRV - (Flying)
RV10 - ZU-JVR - (Written off)
RV7 - ZU-LOL - (Flying)
RV10 - ZU-RVI - (Flying)
RV7A - ZU-MER (Bought back)
RV7A - ZU-JAD (Sold Flying)
Dues paid for 2021 WITH A SMILE
Old 01-06-2015, 02:23 PM

Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
I will do a more comprehensive search (including float level checks) this coming weekend and report back on my findings.
@ Jetguy yes this happened during touch and gos and was already 40 minutes in the circuit when this occurred.