Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Size doesn't matter?show off your...

SHOP! As my project has progressed, I have added kids to our home (3) and all the trappings that go with them. When I first started my tail kit I had a 22X22 foot shop. After I began running out of room in the garage, I had to down size my shop to a 19 X 14 foot side load garage. Well, the kids get bigger, bikes all over, cars running out of room, lawn mowers, snowblowers and a boat and what do you know, there is no room for my plane! Once again it gets moved. To an even smaller area of the house. The basement utility room. Just enough room to GET ER DONE.
8X22 feet long. It gets tight but its enough to build two wings. Did I mention that there is all of our home storage in there too? Big pluses of building inside…its climate controlled. Wouldn't change it for the world, although some sound proofing might help improve those late night drilling sessions…
Another reason I wanted to show these pic's is that so people wondering just how much space is needed to build a plane…well my current set up is smaller than a one car garage and I am hoping to be able to finish the plane to final assembly stages in this room.

Wings-In Progress
N568AK Reserved
SOLD?but I'll be back

Last edited by aarvig : 11-09-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:18 PM

I think you need more clecos.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:23 PM

Default Funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
I think you need more clecos.
I had that exact thought tonight?but then I said?."NO, I have to stop, I have to get control of all this cleco craziness in my life?" otherwise next thing you know, I'll be buying another thousand.

In all seriousness, I bought a ton of them knowing I wanted to build both wings at the same time.
And, NO, building both is not faster.
Wings-In Progress
N568AK Reserved
SOLD?but I'll be back
Old 11-10-2014, 06:42 AM

Here is mine. A 2 car garage. It gets very cluttered and dirty very fast. I would have to be a much cleaner and efficient worker to succeed in your shop! Its fun to look back at build photos. I cant believe my wings are sitting in my wing stand now. Eating that elephant, one bite at a time I guess.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:03 AM

I won't show pics of my one-car garage and second bedroom (read: workshop). It's *cramped*. But, hey, whatever works. And you can never have enough clecos. Only when a major part, like the wing, looks like a porcupine do you have enough.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Looking good Aaron. I've been there can't believe now

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:29 PM

I built the garage to build the plane in!

24' x 28' and I fitted the wings on inside!

CJ

Last edited by Captain_John : 11-10-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added second picture
Old 11-10-2014, 05:32 PM

No pics, but my RV-10 shop is 18x11---currently working on the doors. It can be frustrating at times, but it is certainly doable.

David
Old 11-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvig View Post
SHOP! As my project has progressed, I have added kids to our home (3) and all the trappings that go with them. When I first started my tail kit I had a 22X22 foot shop. After I began running out of room in the garage, I had to down size my shop to a 19 X 14 foot side load garage. Well, the kids get bigger, bikes all over, cars running out of room, lawn mowers, snowblowers and a boat and what do you know, there is no room for my plane! Once again it gets moved. To an even smaller area of the house. The basement utility room. Just enough room to GET ER DONE.
8X22 feet long. It gets tight but its enough to build two wings. Did I mention that there is all of our home storage in there too? Big pluses of building inside?its climate controlled. Wouldn't change it for the world, although some sound proofing might help improve those late night drilling sessions?
Another reason I wanted to show these pic's is that so people wondering just how much space is needed to build a plane?well my current set up is smaller than a one car garage and I am hoping to be able to finish the plane to final assembly stages in this room.

Looking GREAT Aaron!!!

Those wing stands look a little shoddy though...
RV-7 - Sold
RV-10 - Partners in N829EC
2019 Dues Paid - Have you paid yours?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:50 PM

Default looking good!

looking great buddy!

A friend of mine told me my shop a 2 car garage that is one car wide and 2 cars deep 16 X 32 was to small. After seeing these pics i feel like i have enough room to add an RV3 in the corner!