- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:04 PM

Default Fly High, Fly Fast

Recently I picked up an oxygen system and have been putting it to good use flying back and fourth between Houston, TX and Greenville, SC.

Typically the east bound flights take less than five hours and going west can add as much as an hour. Also, the east bound flights tend to be higher than west bound because I'm trying to take advantage of the winds or avoid them. Even with good tailwinds I usually land half way for a bio break and $4.45 a gallon fuel.

Even though my engine has a carburetor hanging from the oil sump, the dual P-mags allow me to run LoP, which helps with my fuel burn.

Today pretty much the entire US was covered with clear skies and before leaving the office I checked the winds aloft. 15,000 feet was forecast to be going my way at 35 to 40 knots. I thought that if I could get up there, then maybe I would have enough push to make the 720 mile flight non-stop.

Leaving Pearland (KLVJ) I contacted Ellington Departure and asked for flight following, which they promptly gave me and cleared me into Houston's Class Bravo at or below 3,000'. That is what I have come to expect, no big deal.

When Ellington handed me off the next controller asked me what altitude I would like I asked for 15,500', expecting they would hold me at 6,000' until well clear of incoming traffic. When the controller cleared me directly to 15.5 I stumbled in my reply and the controller wanted me to verify I was going to head up that high.

With 15,500' and 500 FPM dialed into the SkyView, up I went. Going through 8,000' I was at wide open throttle and leaning as I went up. It was also time to turn on the oxygen.

Those long wings on the -9 are amazing!

Even though the engine could only produce 48% power at 15.5 I was still going up at 500 FPM without any hesitation. I did notice some Dutch roll going on the last 1,000 feet or so. I'm not exactly sure what that was about.

Level at 15.5 I was pickup up 40 to 50+ knot tailwinds, the Dutch roll stopped, and the air was glass smooth. Great news, I knew I could make it all the way without stopping. What I didn't count on was being able to lean the engine to where it was putting out just over 40% power while burning just a nick over five gallons per hour.

With a burn rate of 5 GPH and a Ground Speed over 200 knots, I could easily make the 720 mile flight without stopping. Had I gone up to 17.5, I could have picked up another 10 knots of tailwind. Maybe I'll do that the next trip. (My feeling was to take flying up high like that in baby steps and not jump off a cliff.)

What was kind of cool was to realize that should I have an engine failure at that altitude, I had a lot of options with regard to suitable landing options.

While going over the top of Atlanta was unique. I got the distinct impression they didn't like having VFR aircraft over the top and when I told them I was going to start letting down and would stop at 13.5 until clear of their Bravo they reminded me that they had planes coming and going all over the place. Then they gave me a trainee controller and when I told him I was leaving 13.5 for 2,200 feet he had me repeat it three times and then he started calling traffic for me that was cruising around at 2,500 feet while I was still above 10,000 feet. I simply replied that I didn't think that Cessna at 2,500 feet would be an issue.

Here are some pictures from the flight.

Keep pounding! These airplanes are truly amazing and the -9 just loves going high!

Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 PM

Great post. The -9 is a fantastic altitude performer. I couldn't believe the numbers until I noticed you had an O-360. 159ktas at 5gph is something very few will ever be able to boast.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:21 PM

Default SkyView snapshots

Bill,

Next time you need to take a snapshot of your screen, press button 2 and 7 at the same time with a USB memory stick attached to your screen. It will save a snapshot of your screen to the stick in a jpg format.

Good way to save pictures of your screen inflight to review your flight with pictures.

Enjoy the high flights. Fly safe.

Brian
Old 05-02-2014, 11:43 PM

Very cool Bill. All my travels across the country have been at 12.5 to 17.5 depending on winds. Some have been at 1200 AGL too! Mountain High make the O2 last a long time and it's sure fun to see those numbers. Am adding some compression that should make them even more exciting up high.
Enjoy!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:34 AM

And some pictures out the window would be cool!
EAA Ch. 292
Old 05-03-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4Zulu View Post
And some pictures out the window would be cool!
With the earth 14,500 feet below, there really isn't much to take pictures of. Even when the visibility is over 30 miles like it was for this flight.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 05-03-2014, 06:29 AM

These planes love altitude. I usually fly 8k - 9k for even one hour flights. Seems kind of like a sweet spot but I know higher could be better. I just finished assembling my O2 setup so will be moving up on the next trip.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 AM

Default Data box?

Bill.....where did that data display come from that is right of the aerial view of the flight, and, secondly how did you display the flight profile?

Was your flight plan IFR?

Jim
RV9a
Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 AM

check http://flightaware.com

any time you are on flight following you will be able to see you flight profile on this link by putting in your tail number after the flight.
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 05-03-2014, 07:18 AM

Default Flightaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Bill.....where did that data display come from that is right of the aerial view of the flight, and, secondly how did you display the flight profile?

Was your flight plan IFR?

Jim
RV9a

Www.flightaware.com tracks all flights that are in the air traffic control system like this. For sure all IFR flights, I think maybe anything with a flight plan and sometimes when you pick up flight follow in is my experience.

Nothing to setup ahead of time, just enter your tail number in the site after a flight.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

1974 Bellanca Super Viking - N16AW - Flying
RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - N6801N - Sold
1956 C-182 - N744W - Sold