- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:11 AM

Default Back In The Saddle

After nearly 9 months from the date of my "incident", I received my SI medical. I certainly learned a few things along the way:
1. While current guidance for placement of a stent has been reduced from 6 months to three months, this really has to do with you physical, not the actual receipt of the SI.
2. If your cardiologist is not intimately familiar with the FAA, and they prescribe "new" drugs not on the FAA radar, you're going to get delayed due to requests for "more information".
3. If your cardiologist is not intimately familiar with the FAA and insists on providing information "their way", you'll encounter more delays.
4. If the government goes on shutdown, more delays.
5. All of these delays, by the way, come with the same weekly response - "You're slated for review". When? "Don't know".

Frankly, after the second submission of data and information to Ok City, the Feds did send a very concise letter detailing all of the information they required on my drugs, post surgical reports, etc. Two weeks later, my cardiologist's office sent me a two sentence reply which I knew wasn't going to fly. Thankfully, daughter #1 is a USN flight surgeon - she reviewed all of my files, drafted a letter to the FAA, and forwarded it to the cardiologist with a note to sign it, use it as a draft, or at the very least, hit all of the points she covered. JACKPOT. About a month after a new letter was submitted, I received my SI.

Conclusion of this tale:
My SI expires the end of June, 2014. I'm going to need a physical, stress test, blood work, etc. done three months prior (in order to help ensure I don't lapse). All data will be reviewed by Daughter before submission. All data requested by FAA will be submitted in a single package or e-file.
All worth it? Oh yeah!

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP
Old 12-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Congratulations Terry. Your experience is similar to mine with the SI. The trick, if it is a trick at all, determine precisely what the FAA wants and give that and nothing more to them. Both points are important - figure out what they want and give it to them. If you give them one extra shred of medical information, even if it's clearly in your favor, they will ask more questions and that means delays.

Hopefully the Bill in Congress now will go a long way toward fixing some of this medical stupidity.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 12-23-2013, 07:41 AM

The Pilot Protection Services at AOPA is also a very big help. Once I submitted all the required SI paperwork 90 days ahead, as the FAA wants. When my medical lapsed, I called PPS at AOPA, and had a new SI medical faxed to me that afternoon. Seems my paperwork was stuck in some Dr's inbox and he was on TDY in Afghanistan. AOPA also has Dr. Warren Silberman on staff, who used to run the medical branch at FAA but since he retired he is with AOPA. They will review all paperwork to see that it's what the FAA wants.
2015 =VAF= Contributor
Old 12-23-2013, 08:01 AM

Thumbs up

Terry glad to have you back active. We were missing your RV experience here. You are one of the few CFIs who share the knowledge in depth and is not shy to point any deficiencies and mistakes in public. Sincere thank you. At the late stages of my build I was "collecting and storing" RV9 flying wisdom and your posts were clearly marked for future reread. Now after 1000 hours of flying my 9 I realized I need to learn more. Sometimes I don't remember how to land this thing. Thankfully my 9 has an autoland mode. Stay healthy Terry the community needs you here.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Forum Peruser

Default Good job!

Congratulations, Terry!

Regaining flying privileges after my heart surgery in 2009 was one of my goals, and if it took a Special Issuance Class III, then that was the means to achieve the goal. Sometimes you have to use all available resources, and in your case, that meant using your daughter's medical expertise.

Just like rehabbing after heart surgery, there can be different paths for different folks to reach the goal. Like the previous poster, I, too, used the medical resources of the AOPA. And I continue to keep them in the loop on my annual renewals of the SI.

Congratulations for not giving up. Your future renewals of the SI should be a piece of cake.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Default Good on ya Terry...

Been there, done that, my cardiologist always drafted the same letter, and always indicated " He is fit to Fly". along with current VA bloodwork, current stress test(non Nuke), and original tracings/narrative. I was good to go. You may also receive a letter allowing for this protocol for 6 years under the annual renewal regimen.
RV7 N364SJ Miss Sandy sold
RV1 N1583 "Mockingbird 1" SOLD
EAA volunteer SNF

HBC volunteer/co-chairman OSH
Tech counselor
Old 12-23-2013, 12:05 PM

Default Excellent!

Glad the SI got handled, Even happier you are in good health!
Sold :-(
Wings in stand, working on tanks
Empennage~complete minus fiberglass
http://websites.expercraft.com/khm/
=VAF=donation due 2/2016
Old 12-23-2013, 12:15 PM

put your Daughter on the payroll!!! This is fabulous news!!
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 12-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Terry, none of us are getting any younger and the dreaded exam freaks all of us out. I am glad you stuck it out and went through the endless hoops required. Maybe some sanity will erupt in the government and we can get the medical requirements changed to match real world issues. Have fun getting back into the air!
Flying N376E
Old 12-23-2013, 07:23 PM

terry,
congratulations. As an AME I can tell you that applying for a class 3 is a lot easier than a class2 especially if you only need a class 3. class2 cardiac SI have to go through OKC while usually a class 3 can be approved by your regional flight surgeon and takes far less time.
Regards,
Alan
N668G RV10