Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Default crack in the inside corner of the left fuselage skin (F-1270L)

After 260 hrs., I have an approx. 1.5? long crack in the inside corner of the left fuselage skin (F-1270L) where the Upper Firewall (F-1201A) meets the Firewall Shelf (F-1201B). See photos:

Old 10-21-2013, 03:41 PM

You are not the first one, same place.
Maybe an idea to look at the firewall reinforcement kit. It also includes angles for the side skins/horizontal firewall panel ->info

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...11&postcount=8
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...12&postcount=9

MyKitlog

Last edited by Gagarin737 : 10-21-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added stiffener kit info
Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Default Firewall reinforcement

I had some down time and installed the optional firewall reinforcement. When I did this I felt it would strengthen this area of the fuselage. I am not an engineer but it just made sense and how this added angle will support this area. IMHO

My opinion is to stop drill the crack and install the firewall reinforcement sub-kit for the around $22 price tag.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM

Default Off subject, but...

I was wondering if you could expound on the pros/cons of the vinyl you used. I'm building an -8 and am thinking of using some.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 PM

Default Pros/cons vinyl

AA flyer,
I've done vinyl since 79,from cut to printed full wraps etc.
I'm building a 4 and may do numbers or limited graphics but not a wrap.
The best 3M vinyl will get you 7-10 yrs, most of the "high performance" vinyls today won't last much more than 5-7 yrs. Printed vinyls are 5-7 tops with great potential for fade, remember there is only one layer of thin ink on a printed vinyl even with a UV protective laminate. Look at the rivets in the photos and you have the problem of adhesive failure from stretch around the rivets. If your racing and changing sponsors every 2-4 years go for a full wrap-but plan on changing it. I'm painting mine with something that will last 20-30 yrs,besides the cost is going to be about the same. The only upside to a wrap would be for a very colorful or even a photographic scheme, but remember it just won't last like paint because there isn't much color going on and the carrier (vinyl) doesn't last in weather/uv like paint on aluminium IMHO
Mike
Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich View Post
After 260 hrs., I have an approx. 1.5? long crack in the inside corner of the left fuselage skin (F-1270L) where the Upper Firewall (F-1201A) meets the Firewall Shelf (F-1201B). See photos:
I am wondering, do you trailer this aircraft?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:38 AM

Here is how I would fix that: cut the skin 1/4 in from the last line of vertical rivets, drill out all rivets, remove the piano hinges and the stiffener as well as the ventilation door. Use the cut skin as a template to cut a new skin plus 1/2 inch to overlap the vertical rivet line. Match drill all holes, rivet back everything into place .
Don't ask me how I know it's possible

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 AM

I am interested in a reinforcement BEFORE it breaks, but don't quite understand your description. Any chance of a crude drawing or photo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFrog View Post
Here is how I would fix that: cut the skin 1/4 in from the last line of vertical rivets, drill out all rivets, remove the piano hinges and the stiffener as well as the ventilation door. Use the cut skin as a template to cut a new skin plus 1/2 inch to overlap the vertical rivet line. Match drill all holes, rivet back everything into place .
Don't ask me how I know it's possible
RV12 built and flying
Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM

John,

Did you report this to Vans? It's interesting that the two cracks reported on the forum appear so similar but others haven't reported them. The similarity suggests a possible generic issue while the small number could mean there is something else contributing. On the other hand the lack of numbers may just reflect limited hours on a new product. That's why it would be nice to have Vans weigh in.

I have no experience with the firewall stiffener mod because it came along after mine was completed, but the diagonal appears to be on the side opposite from the cracks and the side stiffeners seem to be further back than the affected area. Does anybody know if these stiffeners really address the fatigue crack issue? I guess that's another question for Vans.

Maybe Scott could shed some light on this.

Rich
Old 10-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Here is a picture of the new skin, the only difference with a stock RV-12 is the skin overlap at the last vertical line of rivets before the firewall.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114