What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red cube installation

dhmoose

Well Known Member
Fun day in the shop as I mounted the EI FT-60 red cube fuel transducer.
As seen in the picture, i mounted the red cube fuel flow transducer between the injector body and the spider like many have done successfully. To avoid vibration, it is not hard mounted but rather suspended with the fuel lines. It's quite rigid so doesn't seem to need any further mounting. It's wrapped in firesleeve (gray) per EI's instructions since its FWF and the firesleeve is secured via metal hose clamps. Do you think this looks appropriate? I'd be a little worried that the hose clamp might eat through the gray firesleeve, then the orange firesleeve, then the braided SS fuel line...but that's seems like a long shot and should be caught at annuals. Another worry might be the gray firesleeve that is resting on the oil sump. Issues? Anyone object to the install?

display_log.php

PS- ignore the prop control knob that I stuffed to the side of the FAB ;)
Thanks,
David

Last edited:
Not sure about fixing something with electrical wiring to the main fuel line. It would probably work but all looks a bit "gash" to me. Sorry..........

Not there yet but the comment about "fixing something with an eletrical wire to a main fuel line" kind of bothered me.

The Red Cube is a SENSOR. If there are no wires going to it, how do you propose getting the sensor data to the electronics package?...

It's what the pros recomend.
No problem from what I see.
Mine is in the tunnel , it's where the pros recomend not to put it.
You'll be fine.

Paul

Not sure about fixing something with electrical wiring to the main fuel line. It would probably work but all looks a bit "gash" to me. Sorry..........

Paul, there is a fuel flow sensor that is spliced into that fuel line and the sensor comes "pre-wired". 3 wires leave the sensor and provide power as well as information to the panel. So, I know that isn't the questionable part of the install. The potentially questionable part is whether or not the steel clamps will chafe the firesleeve and eventually chew into the fuel line.

Although it is unusual to imagine electrons flowing so close to fuel... in this case, it is actually what us supposed to happen :)
David

Sorry, yes, I see what you have done now. Of course the sensor is in the fuel line not attached to the outside. What was I thinking?....... Doh! :eek:

How do you finish the ends of the "cut" fuel line - or have you had some custom pipes made?

Mine is in the tunnel in the position shown in the plans. I know that you get inaccuracies with the fuel pump on but this is for a minor part of the flight and you can correct the numbers to get a good average figure which is going to be close.

I have been an instructor for many years. Aviation is, by its very nature, an inaccurate science and I have found that many of my students have spent an inordinate, unnecessary amount of time worrying about minor things that don't need worrying about. "Measure with a micrometer and cut with an axe".......

On the other hand, I have, in my time, been accused of lacking attention to detail :rolleyes:

I put mine in the same place, but only partially because of the more flow rate numbers. The primary reason was I realized how difficult it was going to be to service and if necessary, replace the cube. Even with some after-market inspection panels in the tunnel, it's VERY difficult to get that far forward in the tunnel once things are completed. So it seemed it would be easier for inspection and service to move it. Plus it's where the manufacturer of the transducer says to put it.

Dave and I both had Tom at TS Flightlines cut our standard fuel lines from the servo to spider and add new fittings. I used all steel fittings FWF and I believe Dave did too.

WP_20130126_008_zpse5f1cfe7.jpg

Back