Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-15
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DAV8R View Post
I hope the Van's folks will design an airplane where the mission has something to do with actual flying. Scrappy was designed to solicit YouTube subscriptions and likes and promote things at air shows.

I don't think we'll see air adjustable ride height, NOS, carbon over tube, 11 displays, and a double slatted wing in anything from Van's. Maybe they'll throw the YouTube fans a bone and design in a chute though...that would be a twist.

I think the "affordable version" is a Cub variant that hasn't been turned into a spectacle.
Iím pretty sure that scrappy was designed for actual flying. Iím also pretty sure that like many extreme designs it will serve as a test bed for various technologies and techniques that will find their way into other aircraft.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
since the power plant is pretty light.

But it would be premium 91 octane Mogas capable.
Light weight is always preferred. Airplane can be designed around a light engine. Now if they can bring the price down to Lycoming level. The lack of power at sea level is a problem unless you have a light weight airframe like the Kitfox.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 07-28-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
Iím pretty sure that scrappy was designed for actual flying. Iím also pretty sure that like many extreme designs it will serve as a test bed for various technologies and techniques that will find their way into other aircraft.
Right. Put another way, I don't think Van's is going to put out a test bed for various technologies and techniques that find their way into other aircraft.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
I’m pretty sure that scrappy was designed for actual flying. I’m also pretty sure that like many extreme designs it will serve as a test bed for various technologies and techniques that will find their way into other aircraft.
I agree. IMHO, Scrappy is a spare-no-expense, corporate-sponsored, technology demonstrator and YouTube clickbait. Make no mistake...I've never missed a Scrappy Youtube update and I think the process is fascinating, but just like Draco, it has very little to do with real-world back-county flying by real-world back-country pilots. Scrappy's cutting-edge engineering seems to me to represent just exactly the opposite of Van's airplane design ethos. IMHO, it has exactly the same relevance to the market as all those extremely cool concept cars that the automakers always bring to the big national auto shows but will never see a dealer's showroom floor.

Airplanes like Scrappy move the engineering forward in great leaps so that companies like Van's can build airplanes that are only incrementally more sophisticated. Mike Patey in his shop/hangar building a spare-no-expense one-off exotic is different than Scott McDaniels building an entire line of kit planes that Van's has to sell to the masses to make a profit and keep the doors open.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 07-28-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
All Aluminum

180Kts VNE

145Kts cruise

25Kts stall
Hahahahaha
Old 07-28-2021, 08:38 AM

A few thoughts:

I think the standard 4-cyl lycoming makes the most sense, that way vans can reuse the baffling, engine mount, etc. The nose bowl will probably need to be different to allow cooling at lower speeds. The 2200lb/180hp size works well for 2 people camping.

As for speed, there is no free lunch, I wouldnít expect anything that can fly faster than 135kts to land in the low-mid 30ís, and everything changes when you add bush wheels.

The advantage that vans could capitalize on, and what makes a 180 such a fantastic airplane is that they are much cleaner than the flying wire/dual strut/fabric wing airplanes they would compete with.

Something like a rans s-21 with a 2000-2200 grosss and a o-360 would be great.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:52 PM

Cessna 170B with 4 cylinder Lycoming, control harmony (which the Cessna doesnít have), 135K target cruise speed, baggage door, enough useful load to carry two full sized adults (in the four seat airplane), along with camping/fishing gear a reasonable distance - say 500 miles. They of course will have an ĎAí model, which is sort of likeÖ.. well, you know, except this one will fly nice and be pretty (which the 172 is not).
Thatís what I think, after discussing this with a very knowledgeable person that everyone knows. Guess weíll have to wait and see.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 07-28-2021, 12:58 PM

I believe that we could do better than 135 knots. IF no struts are possible, then does a cabin hanging below the wings really that much more drag than the standard RV. I am sure we can make the fuselage quite clean.

150 knots should be possible with four cylinders.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 07-28-2021, 01:10 PM

Speaking of the FAA expanded LSA from its current light-weight into a heavier weight Personal Aircraft class matching the performance of the current Cessna training fleet, the next RV15 can be factory built and certified as such. I am seeing a lot of light sport airplanes at the local flight schools now but most of them are the Czech variety.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 07-28-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
I believe that we could do better than 135 knots. IF no struts are possible, then does a cabin hanging below the wings really that much more drag than the standard RV. I am sure we can make the fuselage quite clean.

150 knots should be possible with four cylinders.
Induced drag.

Do you want a high lift/slow wing that lands slow? Or a lower lift/fast wing that lands fast?

If they make something fast that needs 45kts landing speed then Iím sure the RV crowed will praise it, but it will be pretty useless in the back country, unless you call Johnson Creek backcountry.