-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:00 PM

Finished up the canopy fairing. Like the rest of my fiberglass, it's not perfect, but it fits great and is plenty good to go to the painters. I also got the main gear on and hung the engine. The instructions for the gear are a single line that basically say "this can't be easier, tube goes in hole and a single bolt". After some blow torches and ice bath, lots of sanding, making a drift pin and bending said drift pin with a 4lb dead blow, and hours of fighting it, the gear went in. Great job on the instructions vans....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201230_173855_449.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	625.7 KB
ID:	6404  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201230_203536565.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	6405  
Old 04-14-2021, 07:00 PM

So after months of waiting for parts, things started happening very quickly. I've been on hold since December waiting for a cowl from Sam James that was supposed to arrive in November. The moderators will not let me go into any details about this. What I will attempt to say, is that the new owner of Sam James cowling (Mona) has been a pleasure to work with and is extremely accommodating and customer focussed. The old owners I'm not allowed to talk about. Skipping ahead.....

Last week the panel showed up from Aerotronics. With only very minor trimming of the lower panel brackets, a hole for the radio and GNX375, and minor trimming of the center vertical to clear the AP control head, the panel bolted in. Now the only thing left is to wire the rest of the plane. Minor detail.

Next is the box with the cowl in it. The quality of it looks really good. Not sure how much final work will be to fit it, but I'm looking forward to getting it on the plane. I also got their plenum and FAB for the full setup. The alignment tool is in the mail from Blake at Flyboy accessories. I ended up buying the tool, so if you need one in the bay area later this year, shoot me a PM. I was planning on getting with the local EAA chapter and letting them borrow it long term once I was finished with it.

And finally, we have a delivery from Whirlwind Aviation. Here is a brand new 300-72 prop. Saber delivered the 2.5" CS extension a few weeks ago and I think everything is finally here to get a majority of the FWF finished.

In my downtime I started training for my IFR ticket. My checkride is scheduled for May 1st, and after that I'll be diving back into this build hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210415_002503211.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	10393  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210415_002806324.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	10394  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210415_003550126.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	10395  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	10396  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	10397  

Last edited by agent4573 : 04-14-2021 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:27 PM

I've been waiting on my James cowl for quite some time. Mona called a couple of days ago, she is very helpful and they may be light at the end of the tunnel for me soon. I was getting very concerned as I bought the extended hub Hartzell CS prop specifically for that cowl... a expensive piece of kit and a special order M2YR. My M1B TB engine arrives by EOM (I'm told) and then I will want the cowl to start fitting it to the fuselage, prop, spinner.

Was your cowl a product of the new/current James team?
Empennage 100% Complete
Slow build Fuselage 95% done
Wiring .2% done
Then QB Wings
Littleton, CO
Photo log: https://www.flickr.com/gp/daves_photo_log/79v20C
Old 04-16-2021, 11:37 AM

The cowl I ended up receiving came from Mona and the team in Texas. Yeah, that extended hub prop really locks you into using their cowl. Hopefully she gets you one soon. I know for a fact there's an extra RV7 long cowl sitting in a shipping dock in maryland right now. If you're next in line it may be available sooner than you think.

When she first took over earlier this year she was waiting on some back ordered material before she could even start manufacturing. I'm sure they're doing what they can to catch up, but she was on pause for at least 2 months waiting for supplies. I think my original order for the cowl was placed february or march of last year.