- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:04 PM

Default Spreading Proseal

I have to fix a leak in my tank and have made two attempts. It is very difficult to see what you are doing through the 5 inch hole in the repair kit. All my leaks are in areas where the rear baffle is and it is impossible to see what you are doing. I can FEEL what I am about using bare finger and I sense that I can get a good fillet everywhere using my bare finger rather than a tongue depressor. Has anyone tried this? I tried this with gloves but just cant feel what I am doing.
Ed
Exempt but happily paid for 2022
Old 01-05-2022, 02:12 PM

Default Wi ficam

When i had my tank leak during construction, i used one of those micro wi fi cameras. Worked great to see what i was doing.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done
Fiberglass 70%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 01-05-2022, 04:29 PM

I use a rectangle hand mirror approx 3"x4". I stuck it to a base so it would sit in the tank at the desired angle. I also use penlights that can be reflected towards the work area.
Mirrors are cheap & when they get really gooped up, I just throw them out after use.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:35 PM

I just resealed mine and used nitrile gloves and my fingers. If you want to use a bare finger, just wipe off your hand with lacquer thinner or the like. You have working time so spread it by feel and then look it over with a light and mirror. If not satisfied, rework it until you like it.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:08 PM

Wet your finger before. And you can get a good fillets. Also less seal on your finger. Bin doing it that way for years.

Build on
Hope this helps
RD
Old 01-06-2022, 06:43 AM

Default Proseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsdad View Post
Wet your finger before. And you can get a good fillets. Also less seal on your finger. Bin doing it that way for years.

Build on
Hope this helps
RD
Thanks for the tip, I was wondering about the water trick. I have used that spreading silicone sealant and it works with that.
Ed
Exempt but happily paid for 2022
Old 01-06-2022, 09:05 AM

Y'all ... what does the MSDS say about skin exposure to Proseal? or the solvent used to clean it off your fingers?

Don't mean to ruin the party, but all that stuff seams pretty invasive with skin contact. If feel is an issue, maybe thinner Nitriles would work?

Careful out there

First Flight 7/17/2021!!
- Been there, Donated 2022
Old 01-06-2022, 09:33 AM

Default yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
Y'all ... what does the MSDS say about skin exposure to Proseal? or the solvent used to clean it off your fingers?

Don't mean to ruin the party, but all that stuff seams pretty invasive with skin contact. If feel is an issue, maybe thinner Nitriles would work?

Careful out there

I think a lot of people glaze over this. Many of the products we use in pursuit of our hobby are definitely hazardous to our health.

Are you wiping parts down, bare handed with Acetone? Or worse, MEK?

How about priming parts with SEM primer and not wearing a respirator?

Even using the scotch brite wheels to debur aluminum? Every see how fine the dust is?

Obviously riveting without ear protection is up there, too.

My point is just that it might be a good idea to look a bit closer at mitigating some of these hazards, than most of us do...

RV-10
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-08-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
My point is just that it might be a good idea to look a bit closer at mitigating some of these hazards, than most of us do...
Very true. Although, I suspect the long-term effect of a brief exposure will be a lot less than the long-term effect of someone working with these chemicals on a daily basis. And you can probably be less concerned about pro-seal, a sealant, than about solvents like acetone. If you leave the pro-seal on your skin it will wear off over time as your skin sloughs off cells.

Heck, even the 100LL that i've splashed on my hands more than over the years changing fuel drains, checking gascolators, fueling/defueling tanks, etc. I understand that lead poisoning is cumulative, it doesn't flush from your system very fast, if at all.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsdad View Post

Build on
Hope this helps
RD
Spit works great.
http://jerre-hill.blogspot.com
=VAF= dues paid 2022