to donate fast.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:39 PM

Default Melted 60 Amp Shunt on RV 4

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_001.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	19305

Would anyone have any idea on what would cause a 60 amp shunt to fail? Melted or fractured and then melted.

8 years ago I replaced the Amp meter for a Volt meter due to preference and in 1000 hours on my RV 4 and never had an electrical issue.

Run up was good 14.3 volts and everything worked. 10 mins into the flight and total electrical failure.

Back on the ground this is all I could find. Battery still has 12.9 volts and no other signs of arcing.

Trying to insert the foto, so here goes...............

Thanks

Tim
Old 12-07-2021, 09:03 PM

About 80-90 amps will do it. Now you gotta figure out what caused THAT.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Pending Repeat Offender - 10 kit is on order. TDI? Turbine? Stay tuned!
Old 12-07-2021, 09:17 PM

A loose connection on a high current path might do it. It does look like there is a little discoloration on the lower part of the right hand screw terminal. Hard to tell if that is partially a shadow. Or it might have had a crack in the shunt resistor. There was some uneven current flow based on only part of the element remaining.
Sensenich Composite 3 Blade Propeller
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 12-07-2021, 09:27 PM

What is the shunt for? Alternator? Need more info on the circuit.

N164WM RV-6A Slider/O-360/FP Sold 4/2022
N184WM (RV-8) Final stages. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB) Empennage
Old 12-07-2021, 09:31 PM

Default Shunt short

If the shunt is mounted on the firewall and exposed, I would look for indication on the firewall of a particle that could have caused a short to ground. There should be a burn mark on the firewall (or wherever the short was) if 90A went thru it.

Also check to make sure the shunt sense wires to the instrument have fuses in line. I used a fusible link.

lastly, if these things do crack, then resistance will build up and then cause a failure. If you were seeing higher and higher current readings, that could be an indication of a pending shunt failure due to cracking.

I plane to make a simple fiberglass cover for my firewall shunt.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done
Fiberglass 70%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 12-07-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:14 PM

Default Alternator side

Alternator side. I can turn the master on and activate the solenoid with 12.9 volts still there. So power from the battery to the one side of the shunt is ok.

All of the cables are tight and no signs of any arcing that I can see.

There is or was nothing floating around behind the panel that could have touched it. Its been 9 months and 40 hours since I've even been in behind the panel.

Never noticed any change on the voltage readings.

Is there a chance that the voltage regulator failed and sent a big spike to cause the failure of the shunt?

Thanks
Tim
Old 12-07-2021, 11:39 PM

Default Lowmresistance

Shunts are very low resistance, so unlikely enough current can pass to cause damage. I suspect a cracked shunt that finally broke, or a short, but the shunt should take more current then the wire since it is low resistance by design. So it could be a crack propagation without any real resistance change until the very end. Is the whole break burnt and melted, or just the last little bit?
Sure looks like a short to the mounting screw.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done
Fiberglass 70%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 12-08-2021, 06:14 AM

Default Question for my benefit

Does the shape of the "fracture" surface mean anything to those experienced in this art? I have no experience with such. The large amp fuses I've seen blow tended to melt/vaporize the conductor fairly uniformly but these were much higher/medium voltage devices. Would the non-uniform shape of the formerly single conductor make anyone think FOD was involved?
Old 12-08-2021, 06:56 AM

Only two possibilities, too many amps or material fault.

Given you find nothing to suggest a battery short to ground, I'll speculate the second, based on the picture. Note how the blocks have rotated slightly in the holder, and that the lower edges of the bridge are not aligned. The components rotated when the nuts were removed from the cable ends. It suggests they could have also rotated the other way when someone tightened those nuts without a holding wrench on the blocks, cracking the bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_001.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	19312  
Old 12-08-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Only two possibilities, too many amps or material fault.

Given you find nothing to suggest a battery short to ground, I'll speculate the second, based on the picture. Note how the blocks have rotated slightly in the holder, and that the lower edges of the bridge are not aligned. The components rotated when the nuts were removed from the cable ends. It suggests they could have also rotated the other way when someone tightened those nuts without a holding wrench on the blocks, cracking the bridge.
This would be my guess as well. Nut tightening or loosening put stress on the copper bar and over the years of vibration, a crack developed from the bottom up. Once the crack was large enough, there was not enough surface area to pass the current and the remaining material melted, just like a fuse.

Larry