What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fogging Corrosion Control

cosmof16

I don't want to start another war, but I have some questions on corrosion control. I don't want to full up prime the inside of my RV-10 (at least that is the decision at this point as I gather more information). I've seen some posts that talk about using fogging corrosion control, but have not seen anything on what products are used.

My question does anyone have any experience with this? Will I have have access to fog once the build is complete? (I have not seen a completed 10 so definitely have no idea what access is available)

Thanks in advance.
Jesse

Many have used fogging corrosion control, but it is definitely something to do after construction is completed and painted. And yes, you will have adequate access after painting.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I've used it.

Jesse, it started off as "Corrosion Block' and eventually became ACF-50.

I bought a gun from a NAPA store that has a suction tube attached, and you stick that down into the 1 gallon jug. You need a high pressure air source so that it does indeed "fog" and you access the wings from the inspection plates and wing root areas. Don't use this on an unpainted airplane, because it 'wicks' between the skin overlaps and you'll have a mess on your hands when you do go to paint....fisheyes everywhere!

I mainly do this on the Air Tractor because of the exposure to chemicals, on the wings and tail feathers. The fuselage sides come off from spinner to tail, with camloks, so it gets washed often.

Best,

What Kind of gun

Jesse, it started off as "Corrosion Block' and eventually became ACF-50.

I bought a gun from a NAPA store that has a suction tube attached, and you stick that down into the 1 gallon jug. You need a high pressure air source so that it does indeed "fog" and you access the wings from the inspection plates and wing root areas. Don't use this on an unpainted airplane, because it 'wicks' between the skin overlaps and you'll have a mess on your hands when you do go to paint....fisheyes everywhere!

I mainly do this on the Air Tractor because of the exposure to chemicals, on the wings and tail feathers. The fuselage sides come off from spinner to tail, with camloks, so it gets washed often.

Best,

What kind of gun? Was it a paint gun or something else? This sounds like a great way to keep the inside of the cylinders fogged with preservative oil while in storage. If you have a part number or link, even a picture that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I had my Aircoupe fogged this way a few years ago, wings and fuse. The IA used LPS-3 (he liked it better), and used a very long fogging tube...several feet as I recall. Worked great. Just be sure to wear a respirator and do it outside.

Had it done to my Warrior about 10 years ago. It was still weeping out of rivets and seams on the day I sold it. It was just enough to attract dust to the area. It sure let you know when it was time to wash.

Dust

I'm sure the product works but, attracting dust on the interior surfaces can't be a good thing as the dust/dirt will hold moisture.

Perhaps once you start the annual treatments, you're committed to continue with them less the dirt stays after the active ingredient has long gone?

Just thinkin out loud. (Always a dangerous thing).

Bevan

Great Answers

Thanks guys,

These were some of the answers I was looking for. I'm building in Las Vegas so I'm not worried about moisture until I get the plane finished and on a ramp. By then hopefully it will be painted and I can start "fogging" the inside. I just wanted to ensure what I was thinking was a valid plan (as in I'm not the first to try it.)

Jesse

Back