What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt fastener

dhmoose

Well Known Member
I'm planning to order some fasteners from Skybolt but need some help to determine which kit is most appropriate for my situation. I've installed the hinge pins for the firewall sides and the horizontal pins for the upper and lower cowl halves. Since I've heard of problems with the upper and lower firewall hinge pins... Those are the ones I'd like to replace with the Skybolt fasteners. That said, do I order just the "upper firewall" kit? If so, what is to be done with the lower firewall area?

Little help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Skybolt

That said, do I order just the "upper firewall" kit? If so, what is to be done with the lower firewall area?

Little help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

David, I used Skybolt fasteners on the entire cowl/firewall. Hinges on the lower/upper cowl seam. I am happy with this configuration especially during the first 40 hours when I had the cowl off a million times.

My suggestion is to order just the number of fasteners your need for 3 1/2 spacing. Skybolt suggests 4" spacing but several others users have had trouble with that spacing citing that the cowl bubbles between fasteners in flight. I have not had that problem with my spacing. I would also consider using hinges on the bottom cowl/firewall. I like mine with fasteners all the way around the firewall but if I become a repeat offender I would save $$ in this area. It's the top cowl hinge pins that are a pain. IMHO

David, I used Skybolt fasteners on the entire cowl/firewall. Hinges on the lower/upper cowl seam. I am happy with this configuration especially during the first 40 hours when I had the cowl off a million times.

My suggestion is to order just the number of fasteners your need for 3 1/2 spacing. Skybolt suggests 4" spacing but several others users have had trouble with that spacing citing that the cowl bubbles between fasteners in flight. I have not had that problem with my spacing. I would also consider using hinges on the bottom cowl/firewall. I like mine with fasteners all the way around the firewall but if I become a repeat offender I would save $$ in this area. It's the top cowl hinge pins that are a pain. IMHO

Gary, Thanks for the feedback. I suspect you've had a different experience with your aircraft versus those building a -10. Per Bill Peyton's link, there seems to be an issue with the new cowl mold on the -10 and interference with the flanges of the fastener. I wonder if the skybolts are now "contraindicated" for use on the -10 or if they just require a little more TLC to install. I'm asking Phil Perry to comment on his experiences via this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=86547

I vote for full firewall kit ...

What Gary said. I've had the cowl on and off 2 to 3x per week during the first 20 hrs on my Nine. Every time I do the cycle again, I'm thankful for the firewall Milspec fasteners. They make the job so-o-o-o-o-o much easier. I would use the firewall Milspec (camlok) fasteners again if I were starting a new project today.

I have used 100% Milspec (camlok) fasteners on both of the planes that I have built and love them. Worked well on the 8 and the 10.

Back