What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

nylon gas strut bracket

cholladay

Well Known Member
I wasn't sure about the nylon brackets when I installed them but went ahead because they looked so good. I should have listened to my gut. I had the pilot side break in half right where the AN screw goes through it. I'm glad I was not loading my daughter when it broke, that door came down like a hammer. I replaced it with the metal stock bracket and will replace the other one soon so I don't get a repeat failure. I was surprised they failed so quick I have less than 200 hours on the plane and the doors have always been babied.

I wasn't sure about the nylon brackets when I installed them but went ahead because they looked so good. I should have listened to my gut. I had the pilot side break in half right where the AN screw goes through it. I'm glad I was not loading my daughter when it broke, that door came down like a hammer. I replaced it with the metal stock bracket and will replace the other one soon so I don't get a repeat failure. I was surprised they failed so quick I have less than 200 hours on the plane and the doors have always been babied.

Did you give Sean a call? He makes them out of aluminum now. I don't know his warranty, but I'm sure he'll make you good.

Strut brackets

When I originally made the strut brackets I made them with the stock gas strut in mind. Not sure if you replaced yours with a heavy duty gas strut but every builder who has had one break was from putting a lot stronger gas strut on the door. I have been replacing the broken brackets for my cost if it was from a heavy duty gas strut. If it happened with a stock gas strut, I will replace it for free. Sorry about the failure.

Back