What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Refueling in Mexico enroute to Belize

cholladay

Well Known Member
I am thinking about flying my RV from San Antonio to Belize. I was wondering if anyone has done this. I am planning on stoping in Vera Cruz Mexico (east coast) to refuel. My main question is. Do I have to jump through all the hoops(customs) in Mexico just to take on fuel? I am aware that I will have to get Mexico added to my Insurance. Anyone have any experience stopping just for fuel?

YES this is that RV-10

You must jump through all the hoops and I would check into the insurance requirements. When I used to fly down there a lot. I had to buy Mexican Insurance from a company that sells Mexican insurance (I believe the company name was McAfee & Edwards), have 12" registration numbers, a radio station license, file a border crossing flight plan, process through customs, process through imagration and file a flight plan for every flight in mexican airspace at an airport of entry even if the flight is a departure flight from Mexico. Really take it seriously because they can take some very aggressive action. I was always very straight with them, showed proper respect and never had a problem. Plan well and it will be a pleasant experience. A check with AOPA on current requirements is a good idea as well.

As Ron Lee suggests the Baja Bush Pilots go there all the time and keeping it open and an enjoyable experience is the reason for their existence - an obvious good contact.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
There is a gentleman on this forum who has made multiple trips down through Central and South America in his RV. He has posted pictures and write-ups from time-to-time. Unfortunately I had no luck locating his posts in my quick search, but he's probably the guy you really want to speak with.

Edit: Found it!

Here's one of his posts. Warning: his pictures will make any adventure-seeking pilot just a little jealous.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=27087&highlight=south+america

Last edited:
me too

chad - i'll be watching for your descriptions of your adventures and hoping to pick up some points on how to do something similar within the next year or two. our southernmost destination would be Panama. we are just settling into a place at Elm Creek about ten miles from you, with our RV9. post your adventures, please!

This from an honest-to-gosh Mexican

I lived in Mexico about half of my life, speak Spanish fluently, have family there, and would love to just jump on the plane, fly 4-6 hours, spend one night and come home.

Instead, I drop about $1.5k or more to fly commercially every time my wife and I want to go visit.

I know plenty of people who have successfully flown there and back, had lots of fun, no problems, etc. I also know this is a country where the law is not what's written in the books, but what the guy with the gun and the uniform says it is. On top of that, there is a full-blown drug war going on, and the police/army's attitude towards general aviation seems to be that you must be running drugs unless you convince them otherwise. It only takes p**sing off the wrong guy one time for things to get bad in a hurry.

If I had been flying 10 years ago, *maybe* I would consider it. Now...no way I'd risk losing an RV I spent years building to some thug with a badge who likes my airplane, my money, or both.

Just my own perspective on things, which I admit is certainly biased ;) -- I bet you can probably make it Veracruz, fill up and leave with no issues :)

Luis

I agree with Luiz for all the reasons he mentioned. I would consider flying in to and over Mexico in a small aircraft a high stakes adventure in these current times. How about flying to Destin Florida or the Keys instead? How about the Dominican Republic? The point is that there are plenty of great beach locations with far less risk involved.

Luiz and others - what about an overflight of Mexico to another destination, assuming you have the range? Barring an equipment failure that would result in a forced landing, are there major issues with that?

Here is a link to the 2012 BBP CenAm trip

http://www.bajabushpilots.com/documents/1_Combined._pdf_4eaf139e978e6.pdf

I would have to check prior year events to see if they are deliberately bypassing mainland Mexico (see page 4)

I would also look into a Key West (or close by) departure over Cuba to Cozumel. Then on to Belize. If you consider that option, contact these folks for a Cuba overflight permit

http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com/

I do not know if there is an overflight corridor near the western end of Cuba. There is one almost directly between Key West and the Cayman Islands. Did that a few years ago. Neat trip.

Last edited:
Try using Base Ops.

You can look up a handler for you and it does not charge a fortune for them to handle all aspects of your flight.
We routinely fly into Mexico with our corporate aircraft and have had no issues. That being stated here is what to watch out for.

Get your custom paperwork APIS up to date. If your unfamiliar with this go to flightplan.com and read about it. You can do this yourself with customs in your area and save yourself a lot of money paying for a 3 party vendor.

There are areas we do not fly into and the AOPA will advise you on hostile areas where there is basically no law in Mexico. So will the US Embassy in Mexico. Get your vaccines up to date..

We know that when going into a lot of places the military watches the airfields and usually there are armed guards all over. Be polite, remember you are the pilot. The bigger the aircraft the bigger the tips if you don't want hassles.

You can contact your insurance company they usually have Mexician companies they do business with that can write your insurance while your in Mexico. It is fairly inexpensive as insurance go to add a rider on your policy.

You must have a copy of this in your possession at all times. Also make copies of all pilot certificates, medical certificates, AC registration certificates, radio licenses etc. all the ARROW stuff.. and have it available to hand out. They will keep it. Have a passport... current... make sure... it is too late when you've landed to find out it is expired.

I have called Base Ops, part of World Fuel, and told them I was not going to use them for handling our aircraft on a particular trip but inquired and was honest with them that I just wanted information and if they would help. Most of these big outfits can not make enough on a single engine aircraft to go crazy and charge them for the services but they will usually help you with advice free.

Let folks know where your going back home.. and your expected travel times. Call in. Mexico like many countries, once you clear customs your free to travel around but the authorities at various airports like to tell you that you must clear Customs and Immigrations at every airport. This is not true but they hold the upper hand since to file a flight plan you have to get permission to do this. $ usually handles most problems. This is where getting the name of a handler from one of the big companies will really help. They will have everything all set up... and you can usually deal with these guys directly saving you money.

Mexico is a fantastic country to fly over, the scenery is sometimes breathtaking. There are small volcanos that constantly smoke in the lower part of the country.

Smilin' Jack
Email me at [email protected] if you have any further questions.

Back