What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel indicator setup

aerhed

Well Known Member
Calling all RV-10 whiz-bangs. My fuel floats top out at about 23 gallons. In order to keep accurate quantity indication I had to set up the EFIS tank capacities at 23 gallons and take calibration points from there down to zero. Have you all done similar, or does anyone have a better way that actually shows 30 gallons full without big errors as fuel is used?

I personally don't care too much about accuracy on the top end. It's down low where it counts. I'd leave it calibrated from 0-23. Besides, that first 7 gallons is going to be gone in the first 30-40 minutes on each tank. Quantity indications are practically backup info anyway, with the accuracy of fuel flow systems these days, and the clock, of course.

Hi Dave...

My -10 gauges only show 22 gallons when the floats are at their top swing but I push "Full" on the Dynon whenever I fill up.

That said, the flow meter is very accurate and when I have used 8 gallons out of either tank, the gauges show the remaining fuel very accurately.

Before I refuel, I take a look at what the Dynon says was used and watch the pump to double-check how much I add. So far, it was within a gallon or two, in my favor....meaning that I had a little more remaining in the tank than what the D-100 indicated.

Best,

Thanks guys. Seems we agree on best solution. Has anyone figured out how to get a full to empty gauge reading in an RV? With a Rectangular tank & dihedral I can't figure how you'd do it. Maybe a capacitance probe angled through the tank from upper outboard to lower inboard?

...Has anyone figured out how to get a full to empty gauge reading in an RV? With a Rectangular tank & dihedral I can't figure how you'd do it. Maybe a capacitance probe angled through the tank from upper outboard to lower inboard?

Van's capacitance probes should do a fairly good job of it. There are plates inboard and outboard. The raw output isn't very linear, but most EIS systems I've seen have multi-point calibration capabilities that will straighten it out. I'm sure there's a lot of experience with those on this forum.;)

There might also be some way to combine the outputs of two float gauges (inboard and outboard) per tank, but I doubt it would be worth the effort.

There might also be some way to combine the outputs of two float gauges (inboard and outboard) per tank, but I doubt it would be worth the effort.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Not worth it. Oh well, back to sanding intersection fairings... my poor guitar paws are all slashed to *&^&%.

I have not yet had a plane that had good fuel level indicators. I use the fuel flow computer and switch tanks on gallons used.

I have.

Our RV10 has Dynon panels and we calibrated it to 90L max, when the float hits the top. You can not measure more than the float can float.

The segments are in 5L incriments and they are accurate all the way to the bottom, I have taken one tank down to the 5L mark and it was near enough to spot on.

Fuel totalisation is the real thing to watch and keep accurate.

Back