What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your RV?

Do you have a Fire Extinguisher in your RV

• Yes, I have an extinguisher

Votes: 80 34.5%
  • No, extinguisher

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • Dry Powder

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Halon or hybrid gas

Votes: 101 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caummisar

Well Known Member
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your plane?

What kind?
Gas or dry chemical?
Halon or hybrid gas extinguisher?
Where is it mounted?

Halon

Here's mine! Passenger side baggage. If your buying one, don't get the one with the plastic top, it will leak when it gets hot from the sun, I know!

8-10-2008%2520043sm.jpg

Last edited:
pireps of how and where it was used?

I had a 2 lb B-C in the baggage, considered it unreachable in flight....so added a 1.5 lb B-C between the seats. The baggage area one I consider usable only for fires on the ground, while fueling, or one a neighbouring aircraft!

then figured that passenger was unlikely to operate the 1.5lb easily, so added a spray-can type Tundra foam extinguisher.
would love a halon, but still trying to find one for under $200.
really wouldn't mind an engine compartment unit, but that's a project too daunting to tackle.

Here's mine! Passenger side baggage. If your buying one, don't get the one with the plastic top, it will leak when it gets hot from the sun, I know!

8-10-2008%2520043sm.jpg
Bobby what antenna is that beside the extinguisher? Com? Txponder? I am trying to figure out how to keep mine out of the breeze.

Thanks

Percentages don't add up

The poll percentages don't look right to me. You either DO have an extinguisher, or you DO NOT have one. So those two percentages should add up to 100%.

I think by adding the two choices of types of extinguisher has muddled the math. And I hate Muddled Math! :rolleyes::p

And used it twice.

OK, Kahuna, you can't get by with that brief comment. You must tell all. Who knows, we all might learn something!

And we might be motivated to buy and mount a proper fire extinguisher in our plane!

"Over" ;)

Hunter,

1+3+4=Yes
2=No

Now do the math. 79% Y, 21% N

Math unmuddled. Heck bro, you're a Navy Fighter Pilot, math doesn't matter...a qual's a qual, and a kill's a kill, right!?!

I tried to pick both yes and halon...that would have messed it up.

Also interested in those that have used one...in flight? On the ground? Your plane? Someone else's? Someone smoking on the ramp? ;)

Cheers
Bob

The poll percentages don't look right to me. You either DO have an extinguisher, or you DO NOT have one. So those two percentages should add up to 100%.

I think by adding the two choices of types of extinguisher has muddled the math. And I hate Muddled Math! :rolleyes::p

I've used extinguishers twice...in race cars. In my mind, anything under 5lb is a placebo. Your mileage may vary of course, but I had a small fuel leak that sprayed over the engine and ignited, fuel pump was immediately shut off. The 5lb in the car was inadequate to put it out. A 10lb grabbed off the tow truck finished it off. I can't see a 2lb bottle putting even a small dent in a fuel fire.....but my mind is open to change if someone has experienced it. My uses were both dry chem, not halon....perhaps that makes a difference. At work we use Halon on everything and it's warnings about lack of oxygen for people in the vicinity of a discharge are concerning in a cockpit....though I suspect dry chem wouldn't be any fun either. I'm not currently carrying an extinguisher, but am curious how they've worked for others when needed.

Last edited:
Math? ........ MATH?? We don't need no Stinkin' Math!

OK, I guess I failed to figure out that you can only click on one box. The percentages do add up to 100%. Can't figure out why you would answer halon, and not also answer yes.

I answered: No. That may change due to this thread.

I should be carrying a fire extinguisher, for sure. And this poll may be just the catalyst I need.

Good thread!!

Especially if we hear some real-life stories that show the benefit of having a fire extinguisher in the cockpit.

My only inflight fire story was in a Grumman F-9 "Cougar" when the circuit breaker panel caught fire. In that plane, the CB panel was located down low on the right side of the side panel, just adjacent to my right leg.

I ended up landing with both feet on the left rudder to keep my right leg safe, and took the arresting gear at NAS Kingsville. Was out of the plane before my brain was! No scars! :)

Hunter,

1+3+4=Yes
2=No

Now do the math. 79% Y, 21% N

Math unmuddled. Heck bro, you're a Navy Fighter Pilot, math doesn't matter...a qual's a qual, and a kill's a kill, right!?!

I tried to pick both yes and halon...that would have messed it up.

Also interested in those that have used one...in flight? On the ground? Your plane? Someone else's? Someone smoking on the ramp? ;)

Cheers
Bob

Last edited:
Halon is expensive...

I put out a pretty well developed fire in Rabbit's cowl with my halon extinguisher.

Rabbit was even classy enough to replace it.

Does that location not interfere with where your elbow likes to reside?

Bevan

Not at all. And my seats are placed in the aft-most hinge location and lean all the way back against the brace.

My right arm rests on my leg when it's not on the throttle, messing with the EFIS, flipping a switch, or tuning a radio. Don't even notice the extinguisher is there.

Initially I bought a 2.5 lb Halon extinguisher but it was large and I couldn't find an appropriate place in the cabin to put it that was easily reached in flight. So I bought a 1.3 lb Halon (with the metal top/handle) and it fits great.

For anyone considering dry chemical because of the low price: do some research here on the forum. Several threads talk of the corrosion potential of dry chemical and how, after using on a plane, the aircraft is essentially a write-off. Not to mention that discharge in flight could seriously impact vision outside the cockpit and create a cloud of choking dust.

OK, Kahuna, you can't get by with that brief comment. You must tell all. Who knows, we all might learn something!

And we might be motivated to buy and mount a proper fire extinguisher in our plane!

"Over" ;)

Once, smoke system fire (smoke oil from my plane) under my plane on grass after shutdown. Grass caught fire. Wingman put it out with my extinguisher. That one was funny cause he came running at me with his hands flying trying to shout something. I was sitting in my cockpit. He had a voice box (throat cancer) and I couldnt understand a word he was saying. It was like playing that game where you cant talk and you act out a word someone gave you, and he was acting act out "fire extinguisher". Try it yourself. Its a hard one.

Second, wingman and I took runway for night formation takeoff after run up. Soon as he was next to me, wheel pant was on fire. Put it out with my fire extinguisher.

2.5 # Halon behind the pass. seat just in front of the flap tube.
I have long arms and think I can reach it during flight.

I answered no.

Reason being, I am not convinced a home made system will do the job when the chips are down.

I've had a very hot electric smoke event behind the panel due to a failed capacitor on a dimmer circuit board. It melted the board. A fire extinguisher would not have fixed that attention getter. Fortunately it was during taxi, I simply shut down and left the airplane, it cooled down and went out.

An engine fire due to a failed fuel line or exhaust pipe? That is a major attention getter.

Unless there is a well thought out and tested distribution system, a one shot bottle through a pipe from the cabin will not put it out, it is a false sense of security if anyone believes it. Cutting fuel supply and diving to max speed might blow it out.

A bottle is good insurance for fire events on the ground but in flight the best insurance is a pound of prevention. Don't save money on fuel lines or exhaust pipes - buy the best, install them properly, and inspect them often.

Halon

Hey guys,

For those of y'all who have halon fire extinguishers, do you put on 02 before you use it?

I'm wondering if the extinguisher puts out the fire but also puts out the pilot from lack of air.

At work we have halon and there are big signs on the door that says "if you smell wintergreen - GTFO - leave immediately." The halon here has wintergreen flavor (skoal?) added to it so you can tell if it is discharging. I think the reason is that if it goes off you don't have anymore air and will pass out/die.

Just curious if the little 1.5 lb bottles are enough to make you worry about air displacement, and if they are not, I wonder how good they are at actually putting out a fire.

Years ago before it was banned in Australia I used halon to extinguish a fuel fire in a race car. The fire went out almost instantly and there was virtually no damage, presumably because only the fuel was burning and I got to it quickly.

I answered no to the poll because my aircraft doesn't have an extinguisher yet. But I am hoping to get a halotron unit in the future. It seems to be the next best thing for those of us who don't have halon as an option. Be keen to hear from anyone who has experience with halotron.

Years ago before it was banned in Australia I used halon to extinguish a fuel fire in a race car. The fire went out almost instantly and there was virtually no damage, presumably because only the fuel was burning and I got to it quickly.

I answered no to the poll because my aircraft doesn't have an extinguisher yet. But I am hoping to get a halotron unit in the future. It seems to be the next best thing for those of us who don't have halon as an option. Be keen to hear from anyone who has experience with halotron.

Do you recall by chance what size bottle it was and how much fuel was burning? Was it a suppression system or a handheld?

Do you recall by chance what size bottle it was and how much fuel was burning? Was it a suppression system or a handheld?

It was around 1.8kg handheld. The fire occurred in the pits due to a disconnected fuel return line. Fire started almost immediately the engine was cranked so was caught and extinguished quickly. I guess there was less than half a litre of fuel that escaped and burned but it didn't burn long enough to cause plastics/rubbers/etc in the engine bay to catch fire. With only the fuel burning and before too much heat was created it was easy to extinguish, probably only one second discharge was needed.

I have also used halon on fuel fires during fire training and it was always very quickly extinguished, but again not a lot of heat was present.

This may potentially be seen as off-topic, so mods can do as they wish with it...

For those of us who install an extinguisher, let's give some thought to how that extinguisher is mounted.

A tale to illustrate the importance of not just mounting means but also mounting location... A decade or two ago a C185 on straight floats didn't quite clear the trees on takeoff from a remote lake. Both pilot and passenger survived the impact. The pilot was able to walk out to a highway to get assistance. Why was assistance required? Because the extinguisher, mounted crossways beneath the passenger seat had, on impact, broken free of its mount and was thrown forward with sufficient force to break both of the passenger's legs!

Canadian regulations mandate the installation of a fire extinguisher, and while not universally enforced, there is also a requirement for the extinguisher mount to be made of metal rather than plastic. There have been too many extinguishers become projectiles when their plastic mounts broke under impact forces.

Please give careful consideration to where the extinguisher is mounted. I recently saw a photo of a high wing aircraft with the extinguisher mounted on a composite interior closeout panel behind the pilot's head. I don't want to think what the pilot's head would look like if that extinguisher were to break free on impact.

do a cockpit audit.....for missiles!!!

Mark is bang on here! ( no pun)

Look around the cabin, and consider that impact deceleration can easily be 20g, and IIRC, up to 40g can be survived.
Imagine a 2 lb extinguisher, tow bar, water bottle, maglite, tool bag, now has the force of a 40+ lb. blugeon, being swung at you at 60 mph......with the added hazard of ricocheting around your head, multiple times before coming to rest.

we've all had a 'wake-up' in turbulence when things have come loose.....
Let's not be victims of our safety devices!:(

Works well under the canopy rail on an -8. I don't even notice it's there...

I have that one. Hate it. The black plastic actuator will pop off in the blink of an eye. If I ever get fed up enough, I will replace with the next size up that includes a metal actuator.

We've put on in pretty much every plane we've built in almost every location noted here...I guess I don't have a huge "favorite" location because I've never (luckily) had to use it. I'm a fan of having one, but also have read some good points here on locations....I learn something new every day! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Mine is mounted on the spar cover underneath the passenger's legs.

I finally took some pictures of my installation. The bracket picks up one of the cover screws and the other goes into a platenut with a doubler.

It doesn't seem to be in the way of my passengers and when I have flown from the right seat, I've not noticed it.

Looking down from above:
Fire%2520Extinguisher%2520-%2520Small%2520Top%2520View.JPG

Looking aft from the foot well:
Fire%2520Extinguisher%2520%25E2%2580%2593%2520Small%2520Fwd%2520View.JPG

I purposefully mounted it with the nozzle pointing down. Just in case it inadvertently goes off in flight.

I finally took some pictures of my installation. The bracket picks up one of the cover screws and the other goes into a platenut with a doubler.
Looking down from above:
Fire%2520Extinguisher%2520-%2520Small%2520Top%2520View.JPG
Mine is in the same place as Bill's, except on the pilot's side. Easy to reach between my legs to release it. Not at all in the way.

This thread completely ignores a viable alternative to expensive Halon and corrosive dry chemical.... aqueous foam.

You can get them from us for $14.95, or from Home Depot or similar.

As far as I can tell, their only drawback is that they can freeze. Not a problem unless your plane is stored below freezing. Many aren't. They are useable again once thawed.

They do have advantages that the others do not. You can spray the foam on your body parts if flames are persistent. The foam stays put. And it's easy to clean up and non-corrosive. And they are rated A-B-C.

(Don't ask me how it's possible to use these on electrical fires, but it is. Besides, 12VDC isn't dangerous to your pink parts.)

Back