What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spins

Only intentionally...very straightforward...starts winding up faster after the first couple of turns and takes a little longer after recovery inputs to exit the spin. I wouldn't attempt them solo unless you're comfortable with spins.

We did 6 turns each direction back in the early '90s. It gets your attention to say the least. Took 1-1.5 full turns to recover.
Rotates very fast after the first 1.5.
After the first attempt, Van turned spin testing of the -6 over to Bob Herendeen.

I believe that Van now recommends no more than 1.5 turns.

I haven?t spun mine extensively, but I have found that spins in my RV-6 (O-320, wood prop, sits pretty far aft in the CG envelope) have been predictable. However, as Mel indicates they change in character after 1.5 - 2.0 turns. For a 1 to 1.5 turn spin the airplane recovers very promptly as soon as you remove the pro-spin control inputs. Beyond that it takes more time, but recovers well with the recommended control inputs. I?ve not spun mine more than three turns. That occured as I was working towards a 2.5 turn spin, and it did not recover until about three. Six must get pretty sporty?

YMMV

Doug

Back