What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar in the DC area

I am about to move my RV8A to the DC area for a few years. I was wondering if anyone can help me find some hanger space.

Thanks

Dave

Depends a lot on what part of the area you are going to live in. Traffic is a huge factor.

At KEZF rates just went up to $385 which is probably some of the cheapest in the area.

rbibb, Thanks for the suggestion.

We will probably be living near the Pentagon. Shannon would be over an hour drive. I just do not see myself driving an hour to go and fly. I was looking at Potomac (KVKX), but was wondering if anyone had another idea.

Thanks

Dave

Well you need to check out the housing prices to get an idea of where and in what you can afford to live in. I live in Stafford about 40 miles from the Pentagon and have numerous neighbors who work there. Commutes are, in a word, horrific. I don't want to bust your bubble but driving an hour to fly is probably more nearer the norm around here than not.

Potomac is a nice place and you will need to get a PIN in order to fly out of there which I'm told isn't that big a deal.

If you are working in or near the Pentagon then, depending on whether you live south down I95 corridor or west out the I66 corridor will likely influence whether Manassas, Leesburg, Stafford, or Shannon is closest to where you live.

As for airport communities that are worthy of the name KHWY wins IMHO.

There's a reason so many prefer to drive out there from closer in.

Welcome to the National Capital Region. You'll probably learn quickly why so many (like me) have a love-hate relationship with it.

Like Dorothy said,"Toto we aren't in Kansas anymore..."

Will you be assigned to the Pentagon? Are you active duty? Have you lived in the DC Metro Area before?

Will you be assigned to the Pentagon? Are you active duty? Have you lived in the DC Metro Area before?

I am active duty. I am in Afghanistan right now, and should be home in about three weeks. My wife already lives in Pentagon City and we have daycare right there for our 2 month old (have not met him yet), so our plan is to shell out the huge bucks to live in a small house. We like to walk places when not flying.

Bob, I sent you a PM.

Thanks again for the replies.

Dave

I am active duty. I am in Afghanistan right now, and should be home in about three weeks. My wife already lives in Pentagon City and we have daycare right there for our 2 month old (have not met him yet), so our plan is to shell out the huge bucks to live in a small house. We like to walk places when not flying.

Bob, I sent you a PM.

Dave

Thank you for your service. Like I said KHWY is a great airport community.

In Virginia, Manassas (KHEF), is your closest if you end up living anywhere near the Pentagon City area. Warrenton is a hike from there as are any of the airports in Virginia. Stafford probably close second in distance. Stafford has waiting list for hangars. Shannon (probably about same distance as Warrenton) has hangars available.

Of course depending on your housing budget you might end up further down the road from the Pentagon toward Woodbridge, Dale City, etc. That would start to "split the difference" between work and play.

But the I-95 corridor is a traffic nightmare in that you can never predict the time to transit a given distance. I can get to the Pentagon in 45 minutes or three plus hours -depends on time of day, if it rained, how many fender benders or construction zone closures encountered. It is what it is.

Other things to consider is that Manassas is inside the Special Flight Rules Area and is towered. Not a big deal except that every flight to/from is originated with procedures akin to flying an IFR clearance. Not a big deal but you can end up sitting at the end of the runway waiting for clearance release a few minutes, etc.

Stafford, Shannon, Warrrenton are outside the SFR boundary.

Potomac in MD is closest but I have no experience with them. It is in the Flight Restricted Zone so requires application for a security waiver (not correct term) where you get a PIN that allows you access. I haven't flown in there since 9/11?.

All the airports are nice and each has its complements of RVs.

When you get out here let me know and we can do an air tour of the airports if you like although a driving tour would expose the distances/driving conditions each will have you confronting.

Last edited:
Potomac is nice, have not been there for a few years but if I recall correctly they just expanded the runway.

As others have said, traffic sucks there big time. It will dominate your life in a way you cannot understand until you live there. :(

If you are actually living in Arlington, Alexandria, or Crystal City (all next to the Pentagon) it will likely save you a lot of driving on a daily basis but you will be far from the plane. A few others to consider on the MD side of the river, College Park-CGS (Metro to the airport, no driving, takes about 45 minutes from what I recall), Freeway-W00 (North of DC, pain to drive too, but about same distance time as some VA airports, almost out of SFRA so if you mostly fly north prevents you from having to fly around the SFRA).

Lastly, Thank you for the service. Get home safe.

Tim

No pm received

Bob, I sent you a PM.

Dave

Dave,

First of all thanks for your service to our country:) Secondly...congratulations on your baby boy! :D

Also i never received the private message on the VAF site.....maybe you can send again!

Bob

Potomac

Dave,

Thank you for your service.

Potomac is a very nice airport. I earned my tailwheel endorsement there in a Citabria. Don't worry about the need to get a PIN or learn how to fly within the FRZ zone. It is not difficult. You will need to devote a day driving to Baltimore and back to get it done, but no big deal.

As to hangars, you need to call the airport manager / owner Dave. I remember that in addition to hangars they used to have a collective hangars with a number of airplanes there, so make sure to ask about that. Also, fairly cheap fuel there.

Regards,

Fernando

PIN

Dave,

Thank you for your service.

Potomac is a very nice airport. I earned my tailwheel endorsement there in a Citabria. Don't worry about the need to get a PIN or learn how to fly within the FRZ zone. It is not difficult. You will need to devote a day driving to Baltimore and back to get it done, but no big deal.

As to hangars, you need to call the airport manager / owner Dave. I remember that in addition to hangars they used to have a collective hangars with a number of airplanes there, so make sure to ask about that. Also, fairly cheap fuel there.

Regards,

Fernando

Dave,

If you want a PIN for Potomac the easier and better place may be the DC FSDO located by Dulles airport. The only Freeze airport in the BWI district is College Park. Hyde and Potomac are in DC FSDO district, although you can probably apply in either district, they prefer if it is for a particular airport that you use the FSDO district where the airport is located.

FRZ

I was based out of College Park for a number of years, so that is perhaps why I always heard you had to go to BWI. No matter, getting the PIN is simple enough, so hopefully that will not deter anyone from being based at Potomac or College Park. By the way, although my PIN is under the College Park list, you can still fly to the other two FRZ airports as well regardless of where you PIN is listed under.

Fernando

Dave,

If you want a PIN for Potomac the easier and better place may be the DC FSDO located by Dulles airport. The only Freeze airport in the BWI district is College Park. Hyde and Potomac are in DC FSDO district, although you can probably apply in either district, they prefer if it is for a particular airport that you use the FSDO district where the airport is located.

Back