What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some time in RV-4 cockpit (VA)

daddyman

Well Known Member
Hi,
I'm just about to purchase an RV 4. Excited about joining the RV community.

Issue: buying plane in Las Vegas, flying it home to Virginia.
Zero time in type, low time tailwheel pilot.

Request: for anyone near my home airport (EZF) to help me familiarize myself with flying techniques (back seat is fine)- I'll pay for gas, just don't feel safe flying 1800 miles without experience.
daddyman

Wouldn't it be safer and better to pay someone or get someone that has a lot of experience to atleast go with you on your trip for advice , just saying ,

Don't do it.

Low TW time and none in type raise a large red flag. Find a transition trainer and at least get several RV hours in any -6, -7 and you'll have no problem with the -4.

Best,

As an owner,pilot, builder of a -4, I can tell you most -4's are not equiped to "learn" in the back seat. I had a 46' T-craft and spent about an hour with a friend in the right seat of a -6 doing the typical T/O ,landing and familiarization. Moved right into the -4 with no problem. I wouldnt however have felt compeled to go pick my -4 up accross the country and fly it home. If I was closer to your area, I would give you some quick and dirty backseat time to get a feel for the -4, but I dont know how much it would help.

Welcome to VAF!

David, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Agree with the above, get transition training. Your insurance co. will probably require it anyway if you want coverage.

Time...... what in?

Hi, I agree with the advice here but am wondering what your tailwheel time is in?

If its in a six or seven and you are used to how Rv's accelerate, perform then maybe its safe. I said maybe!! There are several issues, RV4's are very quick off the ground, I am generally off by half throttle if I feed it in slowly and smoothly, solo the really climb 1500fpm plus at 120mph. They are quick over the ground...... choose your speed 100 to 200mph!!

The good news is that they stall very slow solo about 50 and are very stable on the approach, however they have to have the power pulled fully back to land and although you can wheel them on, with any power at all they just want to fly. Have a look at the video on Banana puddin and you will see how they can bounce.

I have 300 hours on a Tailwind fitted with RV4 gear and am pulling off a greaser every now and then and generally in a full stall landing. Most of my landings are like Bananas even though I have 11 hours on my 4 now.

The first time I flew her it took me three attempts to get her down. The first way too fast on the approach and had to go round. The second pinned it at 70 on the approach and did a big bounce, so went round, the third approached at 65 and made a point of no throttle at all, carb heat to slow the engine a bit more and a stick in my gut and got a greaser. On the ground they are easy but direct, they react instantly to your rudder inputs, so if you are used to something like a cub or Jodel the RV could bite you.

Transition training is a good idea...... you would not want to wreck your 4!!

I agree with the above comments.....I would NOT recommend rushing to get -4 time in order to bring home your new purchase. Pay someone to deliver your -4 and do it right.

I paid to have my new -6A delivered last month and it was the BEST decision I made. Once home, I took my time with transition training and it was perfect!

Dave is a client of mine. I recommended he get a little stick time as a first step. The second step would be to get some transition training. The third step would be to come out and fly his new plane home. We also discussed that if at any step in this process he wasn't comfortable, we would deliver the plane for him and he could continue his transition training at home.

So, if there's anyone in his area with an RV-4, please help him out. :D

Dave,

Can you route through Albuquerque or Lubbock on the way to Vegas to get your RV? I would be happy to fly to one of these airports and fly for a couple hours with you.

I was in a similar situation last May and ended up flying up to Portland commercial where the plane was, getting 1hr transition from a CFI with me in the front seat, and flying my RV-4 across the country to NM, 10.2hrs.

I did 2:45 legs to minimize the fuel stops and didn't have any problems making 3 landings on the way home. Full disclosure, I had about 80hrs TW, mostly J-3 cub and had recently flown back seat in a couple RV-8's and had a few rides in RV-4s and RV-6. Probably 8hrs total RV time. Also military pilot with ATP.

For max benefit, I think DFW has a Vans CFI and you'd benefit more from front seat or dual instruction in RV-6,7 but my offer still stands.

Need some RV time

All,
Thanks for your thoughtful advice.

Of course, I'd like to enjoy my new RV for many years, and do not consider myself a reckless pilot.

I'll try to gain experience in an RV 4, RV 6 locally.
The builder has agreed to provide 3-4 hours of plane specific transition himself.

If need be, I'll call on a ferry pilot.

Happy landings,
Daddyman

Response to type experience?

Hi, I agree with the advice here but am wondering what your tailwheel time is in?

If its in a six or seven and you are used to how Rv's accelerate, perform then maybe its safe. I said maybe!! There are several issues, RV4's are very quick off the ground, I am generally off by half throttle if I feed it in slowly and smoothly, solo the really climb 1500fpm plus at 120mph. They are quick over the ground...... choose your speed 100 to 200mph!!

The good news is that they stall very slow solo about 50 and are very stable on the approach, however they have to have the power pulled fully back to land and although you can wheel them on, with any power at all they just want to fly. Have a look at the video on Banana puddin and you will see how they can bounce.

I have 300 hours on a Tailwind fitted with RV4 gear and am pulling off a greaser every now and then and generally in a full stall landing. Most of my landings are like Bananas even though I have 11 hours on my 4 now.

The first time I flew her it took me three attempts to get her down. The first way too fast on the approach and had to go round. The second pinned it at 70 on the approach and did a big bounce, so went round, the third approached at 65 and made a point of no throttle at all, carb heat to slow the engine a bit more and a stick in my gut and got a greaser. On the ground they are easy but direct, they react instantly to your rudder inputs, so if you are used to something like a cub or Jodel the RV could bite you.

Transition training is a good idea...... you would not want to wreck your 4!!

My experience was in J-3, Taylorcraft, KR-2
Daddyman

My experience was in J-3, Taylorcraft, KR-2
Daddyman

The J-3 is much more difficult to land than the RV-4. I've found that the RV-4 is one of the most docile tailwheels I've ever flown. I like the fact that even on a full stall landing, you can still see over the glare shield unlike the J-3 cub. I think you'll find that transition training will not be difficult at all. The advice I was given when landing the RV-4 was to stick with full stall landings unlike the Cub which landed great on a wheel landing. I've done a couple wheel landings on the -4 and the verdict is out still but I do like the prop clearance I get with the 3 pointer. Good luck!

Reach out to Capflyer

Dave,

Mike, Capflyer in the forums here has an RV-4 at GAI (Gaithersburg). You should try to get his info here and contact him. I have an RV-6 there as well. I will send him this post as well.

Good luck, and hopefully we will see you in the mid-atlantic here with your new RV-4 soon. I used to have one, and miss it quite a bit.

Regards,

Fernando

Dave,

Can you route through Albuquerque or Lubbock on the way to Vegas to get your RV? I would be happy to fly to one of these airports and fly for a couple hours with you.

I was in a similar situation last May and ended up flying up to Portland commercial where the plane was, getting 1hr transition from a CFI with me in the front seat, and flying my RV-4 across the country to NM, 10.2hrs.

I did 2:45 legs to minimize the fuel stops and didn't have any problems making 3 landings on the way home. Full disclosure, I had about 80hrs TW, mostly J-3 cub and had recently flown back seat in a couple RV-8's and had a few rides in RV-4s and RV-6. Probably 8hrs total RV time. Also military pilot with ATP.

For max benefit, I think DFW has a Vans CFI and you'd benefit more from front seat or dual instruction in RV-6,7 but my offer still stands.

Whitman,
Thanks for your kind offer. I'd like to keep it in my "flight bag".
Saw the DFW CFI- Alex and looked at his website.

The seller has agreed to spend 3-4 hours with me too.

Daddyman

EAA 1099

Have you been over to the local EAA chapter? We have nearly every model RV within the membership, and we have several CFIs as well. Come over and check us out -- meetings are the first Tuesday of every month at the terminal building at RMN, 7:00 pm.

www.eaa1099.org

Rob

Back