What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To dual or not to dual

Handclutch

Well Known Member
I have just got hold of a Garmin GNS 420 which will provide the certified navigator that I need to get the aircraft into NVFR (Australia). My current radio is an Icom A210 with the dual frequency monitoring feature which I've never had before but have come to like. My dilemma is whether to take out the Icom and use the radio in the 420. This would reduce weight, free up some panel space which is in short supply, and provide a better radio, but with the loss of dual frequency monitoring capability. The alternative adds weight, doesn't leave any space in the centre stack for future additions, means I am carrying around a redundant radio, but there is the advantage of maintaining the dual frequency monitoring.

I've always had two in the stack and it's been nice to be able to monitor the area frequency while operating in CTAFs. But when I think about it, most of the time only one is ever selected.

My leaning is towards ditching the Icom but am interested in the views of those who have been flying RV 12s for a lot longer than me.

Jack Moore

I had a Microline comm from another project, so I installed it as Comm 2. I use it as a backup and as a convenient way to monitor the two important ATIS frequencies in my area. As long as my Garmin comm works the Comm 2 is just ballast with occasional usefulness, but if the Garmin gives up the ghost it will be a nice backup.

I also put in a VAL Electronics VOR/GS/MB unit to allow legal IFR filing, but I am having exception issues which I hope to resolve when the Phoenix heat lets up.

Bottom line in my opinion a second radio is nice, but for our LSA flying not needed.

Bevan, the NVFR rating allows visual flight at night - clear of cloud etc. But in reality it does involve some flight on instruments and that is reflected in the training syllabus. There was quite a bit of time spent on the clocks, and also a fair amount of time practising VOR and NDB intercepts (I did mine well before GPS was around). From memory it was about 15 hours in total, a combination of dual and solo with the first few hours concentrating on night circuits.

But you certainly need some competency on instruments to fly NVFR safely. You don't have to go very far from the coast in Australia to be in a situation where, on a moonless night, there is absolutely no horizon. And takeoffs at night even in visual conditions require absolute concentration on the instruments. Failure to do so has caused grief for many pilots.

I'm not interested in flying the 12 (or any other single for that matter) extensively at night but NVFR capability removes the pressure when delays put you up against last light. It's very handy to be able to fly the last half hour home in the dark.

Also, I wasn't aware you could run two radios using the audio setup in the RV 12 (I am a buyer, not a builder). How does that work?

Jack Moore

Back