- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Default We need a dog.....

Our trusty, much beloved Boxer, Boo, turned 11 recently and we realized we were living on some borrowed time with him. When his predecessor passed, the entire family (especially my wife) went into a 6 month funk. Unbeknownst to me, she has been looking for a pre-placement dog for the family and told me last weekend that I needed to fly to Sioux Falls to check out a young Boxer in a rescue program she had found on-line. Needless to say, It did not take much arm twisting to get me to agree.

Today was a bit windy, but a really nice fall day in the upper midwest. The ever present co-pilot Kate was on hand again to spot traffic (she embarrasses me every time) and confirm the dog was a family fit.

I went to work extra early and Kate met me at the airport late afternoon. We launched into 40 kt headwinds, but it still beat driving. Flight following called more traffic than ususal as we made it to Y14 in about an hour and a half. We landed, and got a chance to meet Olivia.

Pretty obvious she will become part of the family. I realize this is not a dog board, so here is your RV content and inspiration. SF is about a 4.5 hour drive from Minne. In the -9A, we made it there, met the dog, and were back at home in less time than that with similar fuel economy. The O-320 still runs great LOP, here we get 154kts true on 6.1GPH - at 7500 ft on the trip home. 48 kt quartering tail wind = 171kt over the ground - woo hoo!

As for scenery, it is easy to see why the coasters call it "Flyover Country", but the rich colors and long shadows of a warm fall evening have a certain appeal that I think everone can enjoy. (More pics here)

Just before landing, we were treated to a great sunset - a nice way to close out the evening!

Overall, 4 hours with Kate, 2:46 flight time, 16 gallons of 100LL, and a new best friend!

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2350+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN

Last edited by petehowell : 09-17-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Pete, excellent photography as usual!

So, another little RV/Boo the dog story. Last year, I was at the hangar, as were Pete and Boo (the old dog). Boo was hanging around Pete, but then Pete had to run an errand. No problem, I'd keep an eye on Boo. I was working on connecting an audio wire from the Zaon to the audio panel, so was mostly sitting in the pilot's seat. I sensed someone watching, and was slightly surprised to see Boo laying on my little piece of carpet just below the boarding step on my plane. I guess I was the next "best friend" available when Pete was gone.

Only drag is, Pete, you'll probably have to drive the car (gasp!) to Sioux Falls to get Olivia.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 PM

So, did the pup fly home with you?
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 PM

Default No RV grin for the dog......

We need to complete some paperwork to get custody of the Olivia. It should be done in the next few days and Andi will drive, or I might fly, to pick her up.

Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Nice write up

Always enjoy reading about your adventures, Pete. Can't wait to have a few of my own. As usual, beautiful pictures.

Good luck with the new dog!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:42 AM

Pete are you sure you can make the flight without Kate? ...I think she's logged more time in the -9A than you have this summer!

Great Story Pete! We're looking forward to meeting Olivia!

- Peter
RV-7 - Sold
RV-10 - Partners in N829EC
2019 Dues Paid - Have you paid yours?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Pete,

Good to hear you found one but bummer you won't be flying down this way to pick her up.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 10-09-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 PM

Tea, SD is a favorite place to stop for me. Great people, tons or RV's, and from what I hear great dogs! Congrats!
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:38 PM

FLYING with your dog...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtnXWwzn368
Old 10-09-2008, 05:45 PM

Default Why we love Boxers....

Posting for Allen Barrett....

Hi Pete and Kate,

Pete I saw your post on VAF this morning and I just had to send pictures of our girls to you and Kate. The flashy is Cookie. We adopted her from Boxer Rescue here in Tulsa last May. She was 18 months then and big as a horse! In fact she trots like a quarter horse. She had little human contact when she was a baby so her people skills a lagging, but she is a sweetheart and loves her new Mom and Dad.

The fawn is Roxie (Rox when she is behaving, ROXANNE when she?s in trouble). These two are something else.

The one pic of Cookie laying out is believe it or not a normal occurrence. She has the weirdest sleeping positions. Anyway, enjoy your new buddy. She looks like a great kid.

All the best,

Allen Barrett
BPE, Inc.

PS- I would have posted the pictures on VAF but I don?t know how. If you want to show this response feel free.

Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN