What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil cooler on engine mount?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
Hopefully this doesn't create too many shattered dropped jaws. Someone suggested to me the idea of simply adel-clamping the oil cooler to the engine mount, in the space between the top and lower engine mount tubes immediately behind #4. It was a wild and crazy enough suggestion to make me stare at the engine mount long enough, hold the oil cooler up to it, and think "it /might/ work... Has this been done before?"

Anyone else ever done that? Stupid idea? Completely bonkers airflow-wise? etc?

20111221_0493.JPG

Cooler mount

I have this setup because with the SJ cowling on my -4, it will not fit on the baffling. Oil temp stays around 115-120. I will post a picture later.

You might want to check the Show Planes website. Bryan is now selling an engine mount oil cooler setup. I would have purchased it myself but just finished shoehorning a -10 firewall cooler mount onto the -8.

Sounds like a plan then! One less thing to be concerned about, especially hanging off of the baffle. Seems to me an engine mount tube would be a *little* more sturdy than baffle. :D Thanks all!

(WOO!!! Post #500 for me!!!)

Yes, but with a caveat. Coolers can be fragile, so I put it on a plate, then attach the plate to the mount tubes with adels.

Back