Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:15 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Depends on how you define success.
Remember, I like alternate engines. However, to be [i]pragmatic/I], none of these RVs compare favorably with conventionally powered versions. They require far more maintenance per flight hour, yet lifetime reliability still isn't on par. High installed weight means no practical payload. And they are generally slower.
Some kids insist on blue hair and tattoos. That's their right, but it tends to compromise life in the larger world, like employment.
To me, success is making making a 'non traditional engine' work by overcoming whatever challenges presented themselves. I expected some teething problems, and was not disappointed That was the first couple of years. After that, it has been a no problem workhorse. I have people regularly tell me how smooth and powerful it sounds.

My Subie requires no more maintenance than my son's Mattituck. And everything costs much less!! When I decided to have my valves ground, the bill for both heads was $600

Lifetime reliability remains to be seen (for my life anyway), but I fully expect my engine to last longer than I will be flying it. The way auto companies test engines (I worked for GM for 25 years) is way beyond what my airplane will ever throw at it.
Keeping it cool enough, and properly fed are the areas that need proper attention. I did cowl mods to allow proper temp management, and Ross's ECU has been outstanding for keeping the proper amount of fuel flowing at any altitude (No O2, so I've only gone up to 12,500).

Now I just get in and FLY!
uAvionixEcho ADSB in/out with GRT Safe Fly GPS
Old 12-29-2020, 04:55 PM

My Sube engine didn't require much extra attention for the first 350 hours, just oil changes and a couple plug changes. The gearbox was never off the engine in that time. Kudos to Marcotte for designing a very solid gearbox.

After my rebuild due to higher than desired oil consumption (about the same as many Lycomings) The valves didn't like 100LL apparently and the rebuild cost less than $1000. I took the opportunity to mod a few things I thought I could improve (and did). That was satisfying.

The next nearly 100 hours was just oil changes. It runs the same every day.

I think Russell summed up the why, pretty well in a recent email to me: "I prefer not to follow all the other sheep and repeat what has been many, many times before". Different strokes for different folks.

I didn't want another Lycoming powered RV either. There are already 10,000 of them. A Lycoming was never in the cards for me. It doesn't turn my crank in any way. I am an engine guy and love to experiment. I had plenty of that to get where I am today...

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 445.9 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 03-01-2021, 06:04 PM

Default New Video Up

This features 4 more Sube powered airplanes, one with over 2300 hours on it now and the last one being an RV-7 turbo:

https://youtu.be/EfsaOi07dkk

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 445.9 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 03-02-2021, 08:56 AM

Default Nice

Good job Ross. Some nice airplanes.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:56 AM

I really applaud you tinkerers out there who want to experiment with auto engines. I don't have the tools, and more importantly the time at the moment to venture on the path less traveled. Perhaps until after I am in retirement, I would really like to experiment powering some type of light sport using motorcycle engines. The competitive nature of the motorcycle business pushes the boundary of light weight engines, more so than with cars.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Prep for cowl install
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 03-02-2021, 02:50 PM

dan, what alternate engines do you like?
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 03-02-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoffs View Post
dan, what alternate engines do you like?
I'm a gearhead, so I like all of them. Seriously.

That said, some applications just don't make sense.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatRV View Post
The competitive nature of the motorcycle business pushes the boundary of light weight engines, more so than with cars.
One of the aircraft featured in Ross's videos is local to me. It's the 3.3L six cylinder Subie on the Cozy Mk IV. The builder/owner/pilot of this aircraft is a very methodical engineer who does not easily accept compromise. The quality of engineering and construction in his aircraft reflect that uncompromising spirit. I've flown the aircraft and have to say the sensation of that engine just pushing you forward smoothly is really quite something to feel. Totally unlike any Lycoming or Continental engine.

By way of contrast I offer up a local CH701 builder who used a Yamaha snowmobile engine and belt reduction drive. I've always subscribed to Ross's contention that it's typically the "other stuff" that causes non-aero engines to suffer failures. In this instance it was the engine itself that grenaded. The aircraft is now flying a Rotax 912.

With the above in mind, I would give a lot of thought to those motorcycle engines. Yes, they are well machined beasts that seem to take tons of punishment on racetracks and Baja courses. Heck, even the Honda Fit engine that is (or was) the basis of the Viking engines is a beautiful piece of modern production engineering. But what about the reduction drive necessary to get the screaming RPM's of high output motorcycle engines reduced to the range of reasonable prop speeds? It's that critical component which would give me great pause in pursuing the goal of using a motorcycle engine.

OK, we know there are a good number of BMW motorcycle engines which have been adapted to powering aircraft - I'd certainly like to learn more about them, their success rate in aircraft, their strengths and weaknesses. In the meantime I'll keep feeding my Lycoming and Continental 91 octane mogas and keep on flying until another interesting project comes along.

Last edited by Canadian_JOY : 03-03-2021 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Had bikes on the brain - corrected reference to source of Yamaha engine