- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:50 PM

Default Fuel Injector Cleaning Help

I just got through my first cleaning of my fuel injectors per Lycoming SI 1275C.

I need some clarification regarding the reassembly and installation of the cleaned nozzles. The Lycoming service instruction states three different reassembly procedures depending on which part number nozzles you have:

"Step 6. Reassemble the nozzles as follows:
LW18265: In normally aspirated engines where the nozzles, P/N LW18265 (see Figure 2), are installed horizontally, particular attention must be paid to the identification marks stamped on one of the hex flats on the nozzle body. This mark is located 180° from the air bleed hole and must appear in the lower side of the nozzle to assure that the airbleed hole is on top in order to reduce fuel bleeding from this opening just after shutdown. To ensure nozzle is correctly torqued, tighten the nozzle to 60 in.lbs. torque. Then continue to tighten until the letter or number stamped on the hex of the nozzle body points downward."

My question essentially is: does this apply to me? Reasoning:
1) none of my nozzles are installed "horizontally"
2) my engine parts catalog shows my fuel injectors as P/N 63C26450

I have a Lycoming IO-360-M1B completely stock (Precision Airmotive fuel system). Each fuel injector nozzle on the IO-360 is installed nearly vertically. After torquing to 60 in.lbs., the "A"s are all over the place. One or more nozzles would take a considerable amount of extra torque to place the A at the "bottom." Not sure I want to apply that much torque if I don't absolutely have to.

Is P/N 63C26450 synonymous with LW18265? The description for LW18265 sure sounds like it matches my fuel injectors. The other two reassembly procedures they provide make it sound like those are definitely not my nozzles: LW14540, or LW18853, LW18854, LW18855.

Last edited by Lt Dan : 02-16-2021 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:45 PM

1. If your cylinders were matched to get peak egt all at the same time (by making small changes in the injector sizes) I hope you know which cylinder they each came from.
2. If they weren’t adjusted to make each cylinder peak at the same time, put it on your to-do list.
3. ‘Up’ for the injectors is generally taken to be +/- 45 deg.
4. I have seen a few posts suggesting that the holes be tipped slightly back, toward the firewall, to avoid any ram air pressures.
5. Yes, 60”lbs is a lot of torque, and I know some that have stopped at 50 if the hole is up. If you hit 60 in a bad orientation, sometimes starting over and cleaning the hole with a toothbrush can change the results.
6. Make sure you have the proper number and placement of the Adel clamps that hold the SS lines.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:25 AM

Default A finicky friend

Read what you read, got results that you got ie: where things lined up, none installed horizontally. He put same back in same as far as nozzles go. Only the last time he cleaned did he learn of the must be horizontally installed , “A” pointing down etc. . He couldn’t make it happen either and all his peak exactly the same time. I think you are fine. He cleans every oil change, no issues over 600 hrs new engine
Old 02-16-2021, 07:46 AM

https://www.danhorton.net/Articles/0...leCleaning.pdf
Old 02-16-2021, 08:33 AM

Default Nozzle Orientation

These instructions came with my Airflow Performance FI system (uses Lycoming IO nozzles):
"Torque the nozzle body to 40 to 60 inch pounds. If the nozzle will be installed in any position other than vertical (discharge end down), tighten the nozzle to 40 inch pounds first then check for the position of the "A" stamped on one of the hex flats on the body of the nozzle. Continue to tighten the nozzle until the "A" points downward within a tolerance of one flat of the hex of the nozzle body. Do not exceed the maximum nozzle torque value when positioning the "A". This will position the air bleed hole in the body of the nozzle to face upward, and tend to keep fuel from dripping out the air bleed hole after engine shut down. Reinstall the fuel restrictor into the nozzle body before attaching the nozzle line."
Old 02-16-2021, 11:32 AM

From the Precision Airmotive manual for the EX-5VA1 FI system (I can't seem to copy and paste this, so here goes), p. 6 "Nozzle" details:

NOTES:
1) Install 1/8-27 NPT side of nozzle install into each nozzle or primer port of cylinder head. Torque nozzle to value in torque specification table using a clean deep well 1/2" 6-point socket.
2) The letter "A"stamped on one flat of the wrenching hex is located 180 degrees from the air bleed hole int he nozzle body. When installing nozzles in primer ports it is desirable to have the "A" facing downward, but the correct torque should take priority during installation.

Torque is 60 in-lbs. per table on p. 9.

ETA: I note that does say "primer ports", so perhaps it doesn't apply to "nozzles"?

And FWIW, I don't routinely remove and clean those nozzles anyway...they're being flushed continually with a pretty good solvent, avgas, so they only get cleaned on condition (which essentially means never). Same with the servo filter, per the manual.

Last edited by RV7A Flyer : 02-16-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
And FWIW, I don't routinely remove and clean those nozzles anyway...they're being flushed continually with a pretty good solvent, avgas, so they only get cleaned on condition (which essentially means never). Same with the servo filter, per the manual.
Ditto for me

Erich
Old 02-16-2021, 11:27 PM

Thank you all for the very helpful responses!

I’ll see if I can get the A at the bottom +/- one hex face by torquing between 40 and 60 in.lbs. If not, I probably won’t worry about it.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:26 AM

They don't need to come out very often. Last time mine were out was 2014.

Always thought the "A facing down" thing was dumb, not because the bleed hole (which can't be seen under the shroud) needs to face up (it does), but because it means you can't see the "A" when installed properly. That's why I use a center punch the first time they come out, marking the flat opposite the "A" with dots corresponding to the cylinder number. Kills two birds with one stone...you can see the marks during installation, and the nozzles don't get mixed up.

Same for the numbered workbench holder. Don't want to mix up the nozzles or restrictors after going to the trouble of matching the GAMI spread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOP From OSH14.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	8463  
Old 02-17-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
I thought the best practice was to check the servo filter each annual. What if your rubber hoses, or something else, are breaking down and clogging up the screen. Not sure I'd want to figure that out by having the engine stop on me.

Larry