Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:36 PM

Default SL30 No NAV on G3X

Hi Experts

I have two SL30 being set up in a new panel. SL30 #1 talks via serial to the PFD and #2 talks via serial to the MFD. Both SL30 heads are configured for serial.
Both G3X's have their RS232 ports configured for Garmin Nav/Com. Navigation is setup for Nav 1&2.

I see both Comm frequencies top left and right as expected on the 2 G3Xs. I can send new frequecies to each but I cannot set standby on the SL30's from either G3X and I never get a CDI on either panel. Both show the NAV's Xed out.

So far this seems to mean that I am tranmitting serial to the panels but not receiving serial. I have checked the pin outs and gone so far as to make a test harness. Exactly the same. Since both are doing exactly the same thing I suspect configuration but have tried every other garmin oe nmea protocol.

Any other possible config issue I might be missing?

Thanks for the help

Michael B
Old 02-14-2021, 06:34 PM

I forget the exact name/format, but to transmit digital nav data to the EFIS I think the SL30 setting is called "EFIS". I remember there were a couple of options and they did slightly different things. Sorry my memory is foggy, and my notes are at the hangar.
When done correctly, you will have 4 channels of nav data possibly going out, as the SL-30 can send out the radial (or loc data) from the primary, and simultaneously the VOR radial from the standby frequency. Not sure the G3X can accept it all, though.
EDIT: Never mind, ignore this. I found my notes. "serial" is the correct set-up option.

Last edited by BobTurner : 02-14-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:45 PM

I have a G3x with a GNX 375 and SL-30. The SL-30 Nav freq’s will not appear on the G3x screen but it does work with the CDI. I touch the CDI and select EXTERNAL/VOR1 .... The com works as you describe.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigdog View Post
Hi Experts

I have two SL30 being set up in a new panel. SL30 #1 talks via serial to the PFD and #2 talks via serial to the MFD. Both SL30 heads are configured for serial.
Both G3X's have their RS232 ports configured for Garmin Nav/Com. Navigation is setup for Nav 1&2.

I see both Comm frequencies top left and right as expected on the 2 G3Xs. I can send new frequecies to each but I cannot set standby on the SL30's from either G3X and I never get a CDI on either panel. Both show the NAV's Xed out.

So far this seems to mean that I am tranmitting serial to the panels but not receiving serial. I have checked the pin outs and gone so far as to make a test harness. Exactly the same. Since both are doing exactly the same thing I suspect configuration but have tried every other garmin oe nmea protocol.

Thanks for the help

Michael B
#SunShine2020
Old 02-14-2021, 08:02 PM

This is my wiring diagram, I did not install it but had it installed, it works great.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigdog View Post
Hi Experts

Thanks for the help

Michael B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C7E3EFF-2774-4CE3-8196-F1943E4DB83D.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	8384  Click image for larger version

Name:	3FA3FCD1-6D27-47A5-B552-A185D01ABF5E.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	8385  
#SunShine2020
Old 02-14-2021, 08:49 PM

Default NAV on G3X

My NAV Freqs from my SL30 show up just fine on my G3X screens

Click image for larger version

Name:	6FF0DA17-1FD6-4953-8744-563A08DA32CA.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	8387
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 02-14-2021, 09:11 PM

Have you updated to the latest G3x software?

Jay
Wings complete.
Fuselage in progress
Wiring in progress
2020 Donation made!
Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 PM

Default wiring is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdara View Post
This is my wiring diagram, I did not install it but had it installed, it works great.
Mark
Hi Ferdara

Thanks for the diagram but I doubt wiring is the issue. I'm guessing it's configuration but don't know what.
If I'm reading the manuals correctly I should be able to tune from the G3X but both show the NAVs X'ed out. I'm guessing you tune from the SL30. I have a test antenna on one of the Nav's. I see the "Loc" on the SL30 but don't get an external Nav source either G3X.

Cheers
Old 02-14-2021, 09:18 PM

Default software at latest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot2512 View Post
Have you updated to the latest G3x software?

Jay
The software was updated a couple months ago so should be at latest ( or recent enough) and all the LRU's and mfd are up to date. They all sync'ed up when CAN BUS started running.

Both Nav/Coms came from a reputable shop who had rebuilt them. I'm assuming both are working properly.

Cheers.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:55 AM

Default Looking at the serial output

I put a laptop on the serial of the sl30. It starts up immediately sending vhf nav data on the transmit line. After playing with the rs232 on 2 adjacent ports Nav2 came up. Still cannot tune from the remote g3x. But clearly config is implicated.

Going to try to send a freq change from the laptop to see if it receives on the sl20 since it cannot seem to get anything from the g3x ever.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:37 PM

I have a G3X touch and my #2 is a SL30. The G3X will not tune the SL30 but it does accept the frequencies and displays them. VLOC works great. You may have to change your Configurations.