- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:34 PM

Default RV-10 Pro Painting

I'm going to have a pro repaint my RV-10. I've worked with a good paint/design shop to create the design, and they've given me $28k for the price of the paint job. Based on reading some other VAF posts, this seems high, but I want the job done right. Most Vans folk do their own painting, but that's not the route I'm going so I'm interested in recs regarding good paint shops around the country (if possible, close to the mid-atlantic region) and price estimate ranges for a full exterior paint job with 3 colors and a moderately complex design. Any info is appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff
2020 Dues Paid
Old 10-27-2019, 02:22 PM

$28K is a lot.

I think you will find most "green" RV-10's come in the low/mid teens. After that, there's the expense of stripping the old paint scheme, which is a rotten job and might add a couple of thousand bucks.
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 10-27-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Give "Three in the Green" a call. They are located just west of the Philadelphia Class B airspace. Several aircraft from our area have had pleasant results.
flying
Old 10-27-2019, 02:35 PM

My -10 was painted at Griggs Aircraft Refinishing, Skyhaven Airport, Tuckhannock PA. The work was good quality and a good value.

Last edited by aturner : 10-27-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:57 PM

If Plane Schemers did your design and the quote was from Evoke Aviation - then I think the $28k is money well spent.

You can get cheaper but I?m convinced you get what you pay for and I doubt you?ll find a better quality paint job anywhere.

They did my award winning RV-7A and will do my RV-10 as well.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2 (Honored to be Van's "Miss July" 2021)
RV-10 under construction at Synergy Air South
Old 10-27-2019, 04:50 PM

Default Too Much

$28K is about $10k too much for a nice pro job in my opinion. Mine was about $16k at a local shop in Illinois. Another Oshkosh award winner paid about the same for his -10 at a shop in Duluth and has one of the nicest paint jobs I've seen on a -10. The only ones that cost a lot more that I know of required a lot of bodywork to get the fiberglass up to acceptable standard.
Slow build kit #40874
Homebuilt Kit Champion Oshkosh 2019
Atlantic crossings: 2
Old 10-27-2019, 05:13 PM

Get a quote from Lancaster Aero at smoketown airport. They paint a lot of RV?s in the area. They are doing the AOPA RV10.
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 10-28-2019, 06:40 AM

Default prep work

A painted airplane requires different prep than an unpainted one. Not certain if the other prices quoted are comparable due to that.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:56 AM

$28K seems a bit absurd, even if it required stripping and a good bit of float work.

I went with GLO Aircraft Painting who is located north of Dallas. They did my 3 color paint job in the low teens. They did a phenomenal job! They've done several hundred RV's so I was at ease of them taking off and more importantly putting back on all control services and cowling. Their base price includes about 5 hours of fiberglass work, replacing hardware with SS and adding flap protection tape under the wing hinge.

Obviously not in the mid-Atlantic region but for a few hundred dollars in gas and a plane ticket from Dallas you can cost that cost almost in half and know that it's being done right.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 10-31-2019, 06:24 PM

Evoke Aviation Gadeson Alabama. Excellent work. Jonathan and his crew are top shelf. He worked with Lori on the design and did much of the finish fiberglass work along with the two stage paint job, (paint then clear coat.) FYI a two stage paint job will cost more then the single stage. Prior to going with a Evoke, I had obtained a quote from GLO and their price was comparable to Evoke. I think he has a picture of our -10 on his Facebook page.