Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:26 PM

Default SL 30 Interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigdog View Post
Hi Experts

I have two SL30 being set up in a new panel. SL30 #1 talks via serial to the PFD and #2 talks via serial to the MFD. Both SL30 heads are configured for serial.
Both G3X's have their RS232 ports configured for Garmin Nav/Com. Navigation is setup for Nav 1&2.

I see both Comm frequencies top left and right as expected on the 2 G3Xs. I can send new frequecies to each but I cannot set standby on the SL30's from either G3X and I never get a CDI on either panel. Both show the NAV's Xed out.

So far this seems to mean that I am tranmitting serial to the panels but not receiving serial. I have checked the pin outs and gone so far as to make a test harness. Exactly the same. Since both are doing exactly the same thing I suspect configuration but have tried every other garmin oe nmea protocol.

Any other possible config issue I might be missing?

Thanks for the help

Michael B
Michael,

Can you please email us your configuration file? Power on the G3X Touch in configuration mode, with an SD card loaded into the unit (8 GB or less), you should see a selection for Config in the main menu. Touch that button, and then press the MENU key. Use the pop-up menu in the bottom right corner to export the configuration file to the SD card. Our email address is G3Xpert@Garmin.com.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:30 PM

Default NAV Radio Configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdara View Post
I have a G3x with a GNX 375 and SL-30. The SL-30 Nav freq’s will not appear on the G3x screen but it does work with the CDI. I touch the CDI and select EXTERNAL/VOR1 .... The com works as you describe.
Mark
Mark,

It sounds like you may have a configuration setting error. In configuration mode, touch NAV Radio. Use this menu to assign the SL30 as a NAV radio, this will allow you to tune the SL30 from the G3X Touch in Normal mode. You will need recent software for this to work, so if you haven't updated software in a while you will want to do so first. The latest software revision can be downloaded from this link.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:53 PM

Default Wilco

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Michael,

Can you please email us your configuration file? Power on the G3X Touch in configuration mode, with an SD card loaded into the unit (8 GB or less), you should see a selection for Config in the main menu. Touch that button, and then press the MENU key. Use the pop-up menu in the bottom right corner to export the configuration file to the SD card. Our email address is G3Xpert@Garmin.com.

Thanks,

Justin
Thanks Justin

I'll be at the hangar this weekend to collect that file.

Greatly appreciate the support.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:15 AM

That is correct, I cannot display or tune the NAV portion of the SL-30 on the g3x. Only can I tune the SL-30 nav section from the Nav unit. However It will display the CDI, LOC and GS properly on the G3x, when External, VOR 1 is selected. I tried to have it display on the G3x with no avail. I use the nav so seldom that it is not an issue, the only caveat is if I don't re-select Com on my SL-30 after putting a nav freq in it will not allow my G3x to change anything, freq, flop, monitoring.
Ferdara

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigdog View Post
Hi Ferdara

Thanks for the diagram but I doubt wiring is the issue. I'm guessing it's configuration but don't know what.
If I'm reading the manuals correctly I should be able to tune from the G3X but both show the NAVs X'ed out. I'm guessing you tune from the SL30. I have a test antenna on one of the Nav's. I see the "Loc" on the SL30 but don't get an external Nav source either G3X.

Cheers
#SunShine2020
Old 02-17-2021, 10:55 AM

I picked up my airplane from SteinAir in on Sept 17, 2020 with the latest software installed on new install. G3x Touch with 2 displays v8.72 I have tried that, I will try again I don't think SL30 is an option, and it just places an "X" on the Nav touch bar. Can you please look at my wiring digram above and advise if I need another lead/wire to make it work. The new software was released after the wiring digram and wiring was done, Stein staff may have not connected because it was not an option at the time. If I can fix it by installing additional wiring it will be well worth it for me. Thanks Ferdara "Mark"

Quote:
Mark,

It sounds like you may have a configuration setting error. In configuration mode, touch NAV Radio. Use this menu to assign the SL30 as a NAV radio, this will allow you to tune the SL30 from the G3X Touch in Normal mode. You will need recent software for this to work, so if you haven't updated software in a while you will want to do so first. The latest software revision can be downloaded from this link.

Thanks,

Justin
#SunShine2020
Old 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM

Default NAV1 dedicated ???

Quote:
Michael,

Thanks,

Justin
So while I continue to work with Garmin in the background thought I'd ask what may be an obvious question and may answer some problems.
Even though the GTN625 is not a NAV/COMM it consumes one of those places such that with a GTN625 you can only have 1 other external navigator.

My GTN625 is set on RS232 port 2 (&4), and the SL30#1 is set on RS232 port 3 on the PFD. (Note: SL30 #2 on an RS232 on the MFD has been set to None for now). I have the Navigation config page set for NAV1 only. If the GTN625 is hogging that slot because of it's priority RS232 slot does it also require that only NAV2 be set for the SL30 to function.

That just occurred to me since I was able to bring up NAV2 (SL30#2) on the MFD but cannot bring NAV1 (SL30#1) on the PFD. I had though these had nothing to do with the GTN but now wonder is the NAV slots get reserved somehow. I'm guessing the G3X config uses the term NAV as encompassing any external navigator. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for any insights.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:04 PM

I have a G3X with a GTN-625 and a SL-30 and I have the same thing. GTN 625 is NAV 1 and SL-30 is NAV 2. I asked Garmin about changing the labels and they said it can't be done. So GPS is a NAV in this case, so it is #1.

Jay
Wings complete.
Fuselage in progress
Wiring in progress
2020 Donation made!
Old 03-02-2021, 04:29 PM

Default Thanks, next ?

Hi Jay. Thanks for the confirmation.

Now just need to see if setting this right also fixes other serial issues. GSU 25 air data is not being seen at the GTX45r and the GTX is not visible to the G3Xs.

Cheers
Old 03-02-2021, 04:32 PM

We have a very similar set up. I too have the GTX 45R, so if you want to go over all the settings together, maybe we can set up a video call and you can see what I have. Let me know.

Jay
Wings complete.
Fuselage in progress
Wiring in progress
2020 Donation made!
Old 03-03-2021, 06:43 AM

Default thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot2512 View Post
We have a very similar set up. I too have the GTX 45R, so if you want to go over all the settings together, maybe we can set up a video call and you can see what I have. Let me know.

Jay
Hi Jay

Thanks for the generous offer. Sent a PM.