What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight (or FlyQ EFB) on iPhone 5

plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
Getting ready to replace my hand held gps and will go with an app for my iPhone (3gs) or iPad 1 which I am also getting upgrades.

I have been using my old iPad in my RV and it has always seemed too large for an RV cockpit therefore leaning toward an iPad mini. Before I buy I was wondering if someone is using Foreflight only on their iPhone in the cockpit. Found plenty of threads were guys are using it on iPads and also have it on the iPhone only as a back-up. Wondering if the iPhone 5's slightly larger screen is practical as primary displayer of Foreflight in the cockpit while flying?

I have also become impressed with AOPA's FlyQ app. I may go that way instead of continuing with Foreflight. Unfortunately it looks like the FlyQ EFB only runs on iPad and not iPhone. Is this correct?

I have flyQ pocket on my iPhone. It has airports weather and flight plans but no moving map .

I may have to give that a try on my phone. I have abandoned my ipad (took bulky in my RV-8). I have my eyes on a mini, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Are there any fees with FLYQ?

Are there any fees with FLYQ?

FlyQ EFB runs on the iPad and does all that Foreflight and wingX with moving map, rubber band flight planning, and all the databases. It has positions on approach plates, and synthetic vision all included in the $69.99 yearly cost. I think that is $5 to $10 cheaper hen foreflight. It also has a slick ats-b interface with the latest Dual gps receiver. One other neat feature is FLyQ holds the last weather up date so you can access in the air( it will be time stamped and therefore dated) if you have no ats-b connection.

FlyQ Pocket for the iPhone is a route planner and weather from DUATS. No map data. Those plans can be downloaded to FlyQ EFB and used on the moving map in flight.

I purchased an iPad mini and a Dual XGPS170 recently and used it for a trip from Omaha to Burlington, VT and back earlier this summer. I'd been a user of the AOPA FlyQ online before (and their previous online flight planning tool) so I went with the FlyQ EFB.

I found it very simple to use in flight, as well as for planning. I flew IFR the whole trip, and found the app easy for flight planning in the hotel between flights too. I was able to plan and file from the hotel on the iPad seamlessly and the ability to plan from a computer and have the plans show up on the app was great. FlyQ is not yet at the level of development that ForeFlight is, so it doesn't offer some of the better features quite yet.

The only feature I'd wish it had was a document storage feature like ForeFlight. Other than that, the ADS-B weather worked great with only a couple times when the data didn't seem to be updating in the app despite the app saying it was only 5 minutes old. Neither the Dual "control" app or FlyQ offered much control or configuration over the data. The METAR/TAFs weren't updating very well in flight, and I'm not sure why. Could be that I don't know enough about how that system works.

The iPad mini has a limited battery life, and I found that after two 2.5 hour legs both the iPad and the GPS170 would be low on battery. The GPS170 comes with a lighter adapter, but on the Arrow I was flying it wouldn't make a solid connection unless I was holding it into the plug so I didn't use that in flight.

I was trying out moving map navigation with my iPhone 4S and my iPad on a commercial flight yesterday. The iPhone 5 is just a little larger and wouldn't make a significant difference from the 4S.

I think the iPhone is a reasonable backup, and will do in a pinch, but I would always prefer an iPad or iPad mini for any prolonged use. The screen is simply too small, and can't show very much of a map. Tis is independent of which app you use.

I have a cellular iPad 4. The battery lasted me about 5 hours and still had perhaps 25% left. Battery life can be more quickly drained if you start connecting to Bluetooth or WiFi devices.

When I get a new iPad, I will still get a cellular model, with built-in GPS. Even though I intend to buy and ADS-B receiver, and those typically include GPS, I mostly don't need the weather and traffic and prefer the longer battery life afforded by a built-in GPS. I'd use the external unit for longer cross country trips, but would rely just on the iPad for trips closer to home.

Between the iPad and the mini, I ended up with a full size iPad because I use it much more out of the plane and prefer the bigger screen. I do most of my reading on it.

If I were going to dedicate it to my plane, I think a mini would be better, due to the smaller size and corresponding easier mounting and movement inside the plane. It is larger than most dedicated GPS devices and provides a lot more functionality.

Ipad mini on the panel

I fly with two iPads: one on the panel and one on a kneeboard. I use the panel mount for the moving map ang general SA and the kneeboard for airport info and reference.

IMG_0446.JPG

I have the mini connected to the 12v master bus using a USB connector that puts out the needed 1.1 amps. Do a quick google and you'll find plenty to choose from.

-Matt

Thanks for the photo post Matt. Gives me ideas. I assume you have to shift your ipad around quite a bit due to sunlight; and having on your knee allows that easy adjustment.
Thanks again & I appreciate your service!! :)

Back