What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone headed to OSH

cderk

Well Known Member
Any one heading to OSH from the NY/NJ area? I'm looking for route tips for those who have flown in before. This will be my first time there and first time flying that direction.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Charlie

When I went to OSH (from KLWM) I ended up overflying Canada and landing in Michigan, just north of Detroit. Then direct to OSH from there directly over the Lake. Of course I was in the Trinidad (turbocharged) so was over the lake pretty high.

Probably more applicable to you, was a trip I did out of NE Philly area to MI.
I stopped in Franklin county, PA (KFKL), the continued along the southern shore of Erie.
Assuming you don't want to go over Lake MI fairly low, I'd continue west/northwest and take the Chicago shore line VFR route along the western shore of Lake MI.

I'd have to look up the specific details, but you stay low along the shoreline underneath the Bravo.

Then continue on to OSH after getting out from under Chicago airspace.

Oshkosh

Go to skyvector.com and using the flightplanner create a route direct from your home airport to Gary IN, KGYY.
then look at fuel prices around the halfway mark. For example Defiance OH is currently $2.69 for 100LL.
I would strongly recommend that you leave the airplane somewhere in the Madison Milwaukee area and rent a car. If you don't have accomodations at OSH you can almost always find hotels in the Madison Milwaukee area.
Timmerman airport at Milwaukee is about 1:15 drive from OSH. Dodge Co, Baraboo and Reedsburg are other options to the West SW.
If you decide to drive from an outlying airport get on the highway south of Oshkosh, get off at the Planeview truckstop, go east and take the next left, then the next right. This will take you to an intersection west of the ultralight area. Park in private parking and go in the ultralight gate. Go east to the paved road and take the tram northbound to the center of activities. You can also camp at some of the private parking areas, go back to the Planeview around 0400 and pay for a shower.

Oshkosh

From Milwaukee you will be on I41. From the SW hwy 26 which becomes Waupun Rd in Oshkosh. On Route 26 cross I41, turn left on Poberezny Rd, next right is a continuation of Wapun Rd which ends at Knapp Rd, which is the main N/S road thru the EAA grounds. The private parking and campgrounds are near the intersection of Waupun and Knapp.
When you get tired of EAA food take the road that goes to the museum. Go to the Bud Weiser tent and you will find some excellent food and beverages.
For sit down air conditioned comfort take the bus that runs to the terminal. Get off at the NW corner of the airport at the Hilton Hotel gate.
Friar Tucks and several other restaurants are in the immediate area. If you go there before the airshow there is at least one restaurant where you can watch the show from a patio.

I disagree with Jim's recommendation not to fly into OSH. That's an experience that all pilots should have.

Since this is your first time, I would suggest coming in on Saturday or before noon on Sunday. There's plenty of things to keep your interest the weekend before the show starts. just know the times of the mass arrivals.

The flight planning is straight forward. The Chicago lakefront route is a great option. Just be sure to review the Chicago terminal area map for altitude restrictions.

I've crossed Lake Michigan in Cherokee before just north of Muskegon. It will cut thirty minutes off your trip, but you'll have 15-20 minutes where you can't see land.

I disagree with Jim's recommendation not to fly into OSH. That's an experience that all pilots should have.

Since this is your first time, I would suggest coming in on Saturday or before noon on Sunday. There's plenty of things to keep your interest the weekend before the show starts. just know the times of the mass arrivals.

The flight planning is straight forward. The Chicago lakefront route is a great option. Just be sure to review the Chicago terminal area map for altitude restrictions.

I've crossed Lake Michigan in Cherokee before just north of Muskegon. It will cut thirty minutes off your trip, but you'll have 15-20 minutes where you can't see land.

Thanks Bob - I'm absolutely flying into OSH. I agree. That's part of the experience. I'm connecting with a few other RV10 guys and probably camping with them if there is room. If not, it'll be with my Archer.

I went out and purchased some life vests, so my intent was to fly over the lake. Depending on the weather I'll file IFR and if able, cancel prior to getting close to OSH.

I'm really looking forward to it. Mostly because my build is progressing nicely and I need to start figuring out what is going in the airplane. I'm excited about spending some time bonding with my 16-year old son as well, who lost his mother last month. Its been 10 years since I've lived under the same roof and this will be a good time for us to catch up and get to know each other again.

Thanks all for the tips...

Just read the NOTAM a hundred times over and you'll be fine :) It can certainly get hectic at times but like Bob mentioned if you plan your arrival day and time correctly it's not too bad. Fred Stadler (EAA) usually publishes a webinar a month or so in advance that is *extremely* helpful, particularly to first-timers, and explains the nuts and bolts of the VFR arrival down to the smallest details, with many tips and tricks along the way. Very well worth the time to watch!

EDIT: Didn't realize it's already out for this year, see here: http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=4932830442001

We're coming from the west, opposite direction as you, but I guess if I were in your shoes I'd probably be taking the long way around the lake and use it as an excuse to check out the Chicago lakefront. Personal preference I suppose, I'd rather not fly over any water that I can't glide to shore from... in spite of the fact that I was actually quite the swimmer 10 years/50 lbs ago haha. Not worth it for me, but many people do it all the time and very few have any trouble. Just be aware your engine will start making all kinds of noises you never heard before as soon as you lose sight of land (or so I hear) ;)

Sounds like you've got a really cool opportunity to spend some time camping in HBC! Sarah and I are also flying an Archer and will be camping in GAC. If you do end up camping at your Archer, feel free to get ahold of us if you'd ever like to meet up and talk -10's amidst the sea of certified airplanes...

Cheers,
-Mike

Last edited:
I flew into OshKosh for my first time last year. This year will be my Second.
I've also flown into SNF more 25 times. I had no issues coming in on Saturday around noontime.

So, as others have said, read the NOTAM over & over again until you know the procedure by heart. Have a couple of printed copies readily available in the cabin before you approach Ripon. I like to have a backup in the event one falls between the seats...

For the next few weeks, do some slow flight & practice stalls. This will get your head in the game and prepare you for the conga line.

Flying in your first time was a bucket list item for me. Now I'm hooked. :D

Whether you come over the lake or south around Chicago, there are a bunch of good fuel stops around 30 minutes from OSH. Do yourself a favor and stop at one, gas up, piddle and review the NOTAM one last time. Best way to hit Fisk is with full tanks and an empty bladder, not the other way around.

If you have the legs to make it across Canada, a really nice stop is Clare Mi. 48D. Great gas prices, crew car, ice cream in the fridge, a nice place to stop. If you don't land, Canada overflight only requires you are on flight following,
I typically cross the lake at Ludington, Mi.. It is the narrowest part. I cross at 10,000 and on a good day am only out of sight of land for a few minutes. Hazy days can be 20-30 min with no land, and sometimes even no horizon. So be ready for VFR/IFR flight if necessary. I typically start a long decent about 1/2 to 1/3 of the way over to add speed. You need to be down to 1800 or 2300 feet by Ripon anyway.

If you don't have the legs to overfly Canada, it is best to stay south of the lakes and come up the Chicago waterfront. A beautiful flight. I have had problems with weather coming off the lake. Clouds seem to pile up along the waterfront sometimes.

Good luck!

Crossing the Lake

Most of my flying and training (since the early 90's) has been along the western shore of Lake Michigan in Illinois and Wisconsin. Most pilots I know will not cross Lake Michigan in a single engine plane. This is a note from the Chicago sectional, "Caution: Be prepared for loss of horizontal reference at low altitude over lake during hazy conditions and at night." Please prepare yourself well if you plan to cross the lake.

Also, don't expect to get clearance through the Chicago Class B; you will either need to fly under it or around it. I fly out of Kenosha and on IFR flight plans from the east they vector us out to almost Rockford.

Back