What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TW endorsement & tx tng near Destin, FL

HDM

I'm New Here
Heya,

Not an aircraft owner, yet, but posturing for ownership. My wife and I are both pilots with aerobatic/formation experience so the decision to get an RV was pretty easy. We were set on the -7A but have found some really nice airplanes that are taildraggers. While we aren't opposed to TW ownership, we have 0 TW time.

We are trying to setup some training with Alex De Dominicis around Thanksgiving but haven't heard back from him. We aren't from Texas and are trying to find a CFI TW near Destin, FL. I've found the website for some folks in Daytona Beach & south of Orlando but we would prefer to stay closer if possible.

The lack of a TW endorsement is our biggest barrier to RV-7 ownership for now. We will look to accomplish the TX training at some point it is lower priority.

Cheers,
Matt

KORL

I did my TW endorsement and Advanced Aerobatics training with certified EAA Aerobatics pilot in Air Orlando Aviation. I believe they are now called TraxAir, located in Orlando Exec. Airport (KORL).

They usually don't offer TW or aerobatics training on their website, so you have to give them a call and ask for such training in their shiny 8KCAB.

It was a very fun plane to fly, probably the best part of all my training, which I did at Phoenix East Aviation, in Daytona Beach, Intl. (KDAB). They also offer TW endorsements in a 8KCAB, so now you have these two recommendations. (link to Phoenix East Aviation)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Still very open to recommendations since those locations are quite a distance for just a day trip.

Cheers,
Matt

I would think you are talking more than a day trip for two of you to get a TW endorsement. I also would pick someone with a RV if possible. I got my TW time in a Citabria and the diffrence between a RV and Decathalon or Citabria is great.
"Once you go TW you will never go back."
I think that is a quote from someone important.

I would think you are talking more than a day trip for two of you to get a TW endorsement. I also would pick someone with a RV if possible. I got my TW time in a Citabria and the diffrence between a RV and Decathalon or Citabria is great.
"Once you go TW you will never go back."
I think that is a quote from someone important.

That's why we are trying to keep it local, taking leave for training in addition to an airplane ferry will be tough. The closer the better!

Cheers,
Matt

Unless you do not need insurance, call Nationair before going any further. The cost with minimal TW time may shock you.

0J6

Matt,
I think there is a gentlemen in Headland, AL that does TW endorsements in a Citabria or Decathalon but I'm not sure which. Jan Bussell down at Lake Okeechobee does transition training in a 6 and I would highly recommend him for transition.

Al DeWeese (AltonD) will chime in shortly about the guy in Headland I bet.

Kent Gorton is south of ATL. He offers TW and transition training in his RV-6. Well worth the road trip IMHO.

TW Endorsement & tng near Destin, FL

Matt,
There's a CFI at Sky Ranch (Baker, FL) with a tail wheel training aircraft plus his personal RV-8. Check the AF Global and send me an email for more info. He works one floor above me at Eglin but he's on leave this week so I've not had a chance to talk to him.
Cheers,
George Ross

Much thanks to the Niceville mafia for the valuable input.

Mike -- thanks for the quick phone chat. Knowing that there is a group of local RV flyers makes me even more motivated to purchase.

George -- e-mail sent.

John -- thanks for confirming the info.

The find at Sky Ranch is exactly the information I was looking for. Props for the VAF community and its awesome members for helping me out.

Cheers,
Matt

Back