What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag Harness Sequence?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
Looking at the end of a Slick Magneto how do you know which lead goes to cylinder number 1, 2, etc?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring

Check the spark plug nuts. They are probably stamped with the cylinder number and top or bottom (e.g. "2T").

Luis Luciani
RV8

I just checked with a mirror and flashlight. There is an enormous great 1 cast into the magneto cap next to the plug cable for cylinder number one - duh!

In my defense though it's painted black, it's buried under a cluster of wires, it's up against the firewall, it's dark down there and it's in a different position on the magnetos shipped with the new experimental Lycomings than that shown in the diagrams I have access to - including the one that came with the engine.

Jim

The cap goes onto the mag only one way.. so I'm tempted to say "you can't mess it up"

Thanks - I was really trying to understand why the wiring looked different from all of the diagrams that I'd seen. Looks like #1 position on the mag cap in my installation is rotated clockwise by 90 degrees compared to the older engines.

Jim

Slick vs. Bendix?

Thanks - I was really trying to understand why the wiring looked different from all of the diagrams that I'd seen. Looks like #1 position on the mag cap in my installation is rotated clockwise by 90 degrees compared to the older engines.

Jim

Perhaps that is a Bendix vs. Slick difference?

Lycoming uses both, but the manual does not seem to differentiate...

gil A

Back