What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie here from central texas

HawkGuy

Okay so Im new here, Ive wanted to build an RV since i was a little kid, my grandfather is a pilot so is my father, both are AP mechanics, and my Dad is an IA. Ive been in the army for the past six years working on blackhawk helicopters and this year will be going to Army Flight School! Im working on getting my AP probably in the next couple months, and Im pushing my Dad, and my grandfather in maybe starting up one of these builds! I want to build the RV7A and just ordered the preview plans and will start looking through them and here shortly will order an empennage kit! but anyways ive been lurking here a while, and thought id finally say hello.

Right now im stationed in the central texas area and live predominantly in Abilene, if theres anyone in the area that would be willing to maybe meet up sometime accept a free lunch and beverage id be very enthusiastic about gettting a more intimate look at well any RV really! my names jeff and you can reach me through this site!

Welcome

Hello Jeff
Sounds like you have the bug too..... good luck. Working in the same shop with your dad and grandfather telling you what to do.... wow. My dad and I work together, I will be 40 this year, my dad still thinks I'm that 16 year old that needs a kick in the paints. I love him with all my heart, but want to kick his a*# some times.

well

haha actually it will be my dad and grandfather working in their own shop in arizona on either the wings or fuse, and me working in my own shop in texas on one or the other...

luckily i wont have to worry too much about being bullied, and i think i may tackle the fuse/emp so that i can design the panel the way i want it... lol

Got Bit

Very addicting! :D Welcome to the group. I fired you an email, if your ever in the Austin area drop a line.

yea im stationed at fort hood currently but am deployed ill be back in about a month or so and then ill definitely give you a call!

Welcome to the group HawkGuy. I am close by in Gatesville , currently working on a 7. Would be glad to show you the project and talk airplanes.
You are deployed now? EAA chapter 59 is having their pancake breakfast this weekend and a few RVs are usually there. Drop me a PM anytime.

yea im currently deployed but i will definitely do that, im just a hop skip and jump from gatesville! sounds like a plan!

Abilene Area

Hello Jeff.
I live in Winters, which is about 40 miles S of Abilene. I have a flying -6A and am working on a -7A. You would be welcome to give me a shout anytime you are in the area.

I also know a couple of guys in Abilene who are working on RV's. One is a -6A and the other is a -7A.

Let me know when you get back, and maybe we can get together.

Thanks for your service!

awesome! im definitely excited to get back now! me and my wife ride alot too, so it would be awesome to come down for a saturday and check out your operation!

Granbury Area

Come to Pecan Plantation 0TX1 when you get back in the area and we have lots of folks at Pecan Plantation that will welcome you to all types of RV's. If it works out the 2nd Sat in May is our fly-in. I spent 2yrs at Fort Hood so I know how it is there. ( 68-70).

wow! so i think ive just met more than enough people to fill my first couple weeks back home docket.. lol thanks for all the help and offers! hopefully it wont be too long and Ill get to meet a few of you!!

There is a big airshow/open house in Abilene May 2

I will not be there this year but last year at Dyess Air Force Base the Big Country Air Fest was held on Saturday and Sunday. In addition to the B-1s that are stationed there flying, they had a F-15 demonstration flight, several aerobatic performers, a Sport Air Racing League cross country air race that started and ended at top speed right across the field just beyond the show dead line (this is rare), and static displays of many airplanes including RVs. If you are back by then you may want to check it out.

The most demanding job I ever had in my work life was for JPL on a project for the Army at Ft. Hood. It was so impossible that the lab gave us the freedom and whatever I asked for to do the job and we pulled it off. I remember the Apache helicopters, C-5s making low passes at Gray field and always the cannons rumbling like distant thunder in the background. Sorry for the lapse - the mention of the name triggers special memories.

Bob Axsom

airshow

yes yes im familiar with the airshow.. my wife is stationed at dyess currently actually.. which is why i have a house there! so ill probably be there at the airshow..

Greetings...

HawkGuy from Hawkeye! I, too, did a short stint at the 'Hood' back in '76. I made the first flight on my -7A last Sept and have a bit over 100 hours on it now. Where in AZ are your pop and grandpop? I'm down in the SE area of the state but I'm planning on meeting one of my VAF acquaintances in person soon in TX (trying to fix in Memorial Day weekend) probably in the DFW area, most likely 52F, Dougs home field. Let me know how your game plan is shaping up and if you haven't found that first ride yet, or simply want another, we'll see what we can put together. And like a previous poster stated, "Thank you for serving your country!" It means a lot to all of us.

Back