What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI System for Dual-Mag Engine

EFII In Flight

I would also like to hear from someone who has before and after EFII performance numbers, but the EFII systems are just starting to be installed now. I have purchased an EFII single-ignition system for my 8A?s Lycoming; removing one of my magnetos. EFII?s advanced engineering design and high-quality construction are the main reasons that I have decided to purchase and install an EFII system. The promise of increased power and greater fuel efficiency are ?nice-to-haves? for me.

I have observed two aircraft fly with the EFII combined ignition plus fuel injection systems: an RV-8A (IO-360 angle-valve) and a Clipped Wing Taylorcraft (IO-320). I saw both aircraft fly (takeoff) before and after the EFII installations. The Lycomings literally ?woke-up? in both aircraft. The climb performance increase was very obvious. Unfortunately, other than this qualitative observation, I have not heard what the comparative climb rates were. I do know that the Taylorcraft?s climb angle was jaw-dropping, and the pilot reportedly would have hit Vne just after turning downwind if he had not throttled back considerably. The 8A wasn?t too shabby, either; climbing at an angle reminiscent of a Rocket.

My guess is that as the actual EFII performance numbers come in, EFII is going to start selling a lot of ignition and fuel injection systems for Lycomings. I know that we will be seeing EFII-energized Lycomings for the first time at Reno and Valdez this year and next, respectively. For example:

http://www.flyefii.com/customer_projects/CUZOOM/CUZOOM.htm

Stay Tuned!

I've decided to modify a regular mag to replace the current dual mag and just use one ei, at least for now. Makes the installation much easier without worrying about backup power etc.

There is another option to having dual EI on these engines with the Bendix 2/3000 dual mag and not having to worry about backup power etc. And that is to do what I am doing, replace the dual mag with a single mag and put in a single EI. But then add the G3i or similar to the mag, so it acts like another EI until the power goes out, then reverts to a mag.

Probably not something I'm going to do, but its an option.

I'm going with a complete EFII system and will hopefully have many good PIREP's in the near future. Robert is great to work with and I am anticipating very good results from this system.

Wire ECU directly to batty or via master and buss?

I'm planning my EI installation and thinking about wiring.

I'm considering wiring the ECU directly to the battery rather than off the main buss (controlled by the master switch and contacter) via a 7.5a pullable breaker in the breaker panel and thence to a locking toggle switch by my mag/starter switch.

I would like to have an LED annunciator (green) next to the toggle switch to indicate when the ECU is powered up. Mostly for the ability to glance back into the cockpit after parking to make sure I turned it off as I'm likely to leave it on otherwise I'm sure I could make a safety argument for an annunciator as well.:D

What are the pros and cons of wiring directly to the battery? I've never turned my master off in flight, but I suppose there is always a first time. What about master switch failure, battery contractor failure etc?

Any suggestions for wiring the annunicator? Simple as a green LED one side on the switched side of the switch and the other to ground?

EDIT: In further retrospect one concern about wiring directly from the battery rather than via the main buss is that the wire from the batt + to the panel breaker will not be protected. There is a trade off between using the main buss, which is fed via the master switch controlled contacter and a large (2?) gauge cable but suffers from the potential of inadvertent in-flight master switch operation or failure of the master switch and/or battery contacter, or wiring directly to the battery and having the 18 AWG wire between the battery and breaker a potential issue of shorting/overheating/fire.

My experience

I just converted my dual bendix setup to the right now being an EMag. At Idle the engine is considerably smoother. Throttle response is quicker and smoother, less mag drop on runup when turning the Mag off. I didn't notice much difference on climbout, speed at 1000' was the same as with my 2 bendix, speed at 8000' was 1.5 mph faster with the EI, at 8000' WOT turning off the mag gives little to no mag drop, the EI is definately more efficient up high.

Randy

In KOSH, I had a display set-up showing the timing curves for Emag. At WOT the timing is 27 ?28 degrees. Timing starts to increase @ 5? MP below static barometric pressure. So on climb out @ 100% power the firing event is very close to the standard recommended timing. While in cruise (lower power setting) the EI has advanced the timing curve. Flame propagation has already started before the Magneto fires @ 25 degrees BTC. That why there is no /minimal change in RPM drop seen at lower power setting @ cruise.

EFII

Just a short update on my conversion from the Siamese Mag to Robert Paisley's Dual Electronic Ignition System.

Robert drew up a simple electrical schematic for a second (ignition system backup) battery for my system. That along with two hall effect pickups for the flywheel and two separate ECU's make the system truly redundant.

I installed two single throw double pole switches so I can run the ignition from the main buss, or if that fails, run the ignition from the backup battery. The backup battery is charged from the main buss through a Schottky Diode, so it is always topped off. That battery is an Odyssey 625, so there is enough power to run the fuel tanks dry if necessary.

If I were to need to run off the second battery, all I have to do is throw the switches. I start the engine on the backup battery so that there is a full 12/13 volts there while the starter is engaged. I did install a couple of green LED's from Radio Shack to show that power is applied to the ignition system.

I'm not a "numbers guy" so I don't have much to report on that front. Subjectively, take-off power and climb seems better. The only hard numbers I can report is that I can lean the engine .4 to .5 gal per hr. more than I could before at 8000msl, full throttle and 2300rpm. If that continues to hold true, it will help pay for the system; that along with selling the D3000 Bendix Mag.

Cost wasn't the factor. Peace of mind by not having to fly behind a "less than desirable" mag with it's single point of failure, was!:D

Not to hijack the thread, does anyone have a diagram of the accessory case for the Bendix dual mag o-360? I would just like to verify my oil cooler routing and which plug is the vernatham and where to put temp sensor.
Thanks,
Andy

Just a short update on my conversion from the Siamese Mag to Robert Paisley's Dual Electronic Ignition System.

Robert drew up a simple electrical schematic for a second (ignition system backup) battery for my system. That along with two hall effect pickups for the flywheel and two separate ECU's make the system truly redundant.

I installed two single throw double pole switches so I can run the ignition from the main buss, or if that fails, run the ignition from the backup battery. The backup battery is charged from the main buss through a Schottky Diode, so it is always topped off. That battery is an Odyssey 625, so there is enough power to run the fuel tanks dry if necessary.

If I were to need to run off the second battery, all I have to do is throw the switches. I start the engine on the backup battery so that there is a full 12/13 volts there while the starter is engaged. I did install a couple of green LED's from Radio Shack to show that power is applied to the ignition system.

I'm not a "numbers guy" so I don't have much to report on that front. Subjectively, take-off power and climb seems better. The only hard numbers I can report is that I can lean the engine .4 to .5 gal per hr. more than I could before at 8000msl, full throttle and 2300rpm. If that continues to hold true, it will help pay for the system; that along with selling the D3000 Bendix Mag.

Cost wasn't the factor. Peace of mind by not having to fly behind a "less than desirable" mag with it's single point of failure, was!:D

I'm sure glad to see this update on the EFII system....it sounds like it's working great! I'm installing the complete EFII system on my project as well and it's nice seeing other people getting positive results out of the system.

Back