What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rivet sizes

BGordon

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone,
I have a questions about rivets I hope someone can help me with. I over countersunk one of my aileron hinge brackets, the lower hole where it attaches to the rear spar. The rivet that is supposed to be there is a AN 426 AD 4-7 however like I said I countersunk the hole too much. My question is what is the rivet size that has the next larger factory head so that my rivet will be flush.
thanks,
Brandon

AD5

426 AD5 is the next size up. You can get them from Spruce, but I believe the minimum order is 1/8 pound, or something like that. You might want to get a size longer than what you think you'll need, then cut it down if it's too long.

BUT, going back to what you have in hand...if it's only marginally over-countersunk, and there's still plenty of material left to grip, you might want to stick with the AD4. Then it's just an appearance issue of not being flush with the surface. That can easily be fixed later on.

Vans sells rivets by the hundredths of a pound. Do they carry AD5? Might be worth a look.

I have had a similar struggle in a few places but were thankfully between a dimpled skin and another non-countersunk layer (piano hinge on the trim tab). I've noticed that my microstop has a slight off-balance warble until it is pressed onto the aluminum and stops spinning. Is this normal? It seems to work fine but bugs me a little.

Brandon,

If the countersink is not TOO deep, you can also try to shoot the rivet from behind (back-rivet) and let the manufactured head fill the countersink. You may need to go one length longer for the extra material.
Van's should have -5 rivets. There are some in the kit.

Back