What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SLOW build shipping costs?

My wings and fus ship at the end of the month and shipping cost is really starting to concern me. Anyone have current ABF cost per mile rate?

I'm getting to the point of ordering my wings soon and had a similar question but does anyone use a different company other than ABF. I know there is a Yellow freight hub right near me... and I see FedEx Freight trucks on the road all the time... Is there a Vans recommendation? I live on the East Coast so picking it up in person just aint happening

I have a friends fuse kit and my wing kit bieng shipped together next week by ABF to Lewiston, New York. Barb said it would be around $640, so close to $320 for each of us. Not bad, as far as I'm concerned. But then I'll be hit with 13% tax when I bring it across the borer to the cold north! Then again, I avoid those BS brokerage fees!

shipping

I am going to recieve my wings for my rv8 on monday of next week. I paid for it yesterday, it was 410$. Shipped from Oregon to south west Louisiana. The trucking company is ABF. Hope this helps.

bird

Partain

I tried to contact Partain to get a price from them before I let vans pick a shipper for me, but they never would return my call, I left message letting them know it would be for sw Louisiana on the message. I figured they were not interested in coming down to the deep south.

bird

I tried to contact Partain to get a price from them before I let vans pick a shipper for me, but they never would return my call, I left message letting them know it would be for sw Louisiana on the message. I figured they were not interested in coming down to the deep south.

bird

I called and spoke to Tony yesterday. He wasn't at the office so he asked to send him an email. I requested a quote of a possible 3rd party std. wing kit shipped from AL to AZ and it was $767. So I'm still pricing options.

Here's a data point: Jan 2011, Slow-build 9A fuselage shipped to Baltimore, MD via ABF, I picked up the crate with my own truck at the terminal, total charge: $367. The crate was in good shape, no damage.
John

Bill,

I did go with Partain to deliver the wings.

Before I go any further I want to make it clear that overall I was very satisfied with the delivery. I don't want someone to think I'm trying to throw them under the bus with what I will say. That is not my intention here. I'm just looking for an explanation relating to the delivery. And I have tried to follow up with them but have not gotten a response for a couple of days. Being a newbie there is much I don't know and I'm trying to find out if these undisclosed fuel surcharges are a standard practice in the trucking industry that I'm not aware of or not.

Both Tony and Mike (the driver) kept me updated appropriately with the delivery and the crates were delivered with no damage to them at all. I don't think you could have gotten much better than that.

But I was originally quoted $370 to have it shipped to Ohio. I assumed that was the final cost. But the final bill was for $410 because it included a $40 fuel surcharge. It was not mentioned in the quote that there could be an additional surcharge. There were no delays with the delivery other than Mike being out for vacation.

I'm just looking for some clarification about these fuel surcharges so that next time I am aware of them.

Thanks for all the input! From what all are saying and from what I can get out of ABF it should be under a grand anyway for both kits shipped to East Texas, including all the wonderful fuel charges.

OK.. feeling a little dumb! Duh.. all I had to do was call Vans and they give you a quote. For any who wish to know.. SB Wings and Fus Kits shipped via ABF, I was quoted $566.00 including fuel charges. Leaving Vans 4-25-11 and shipping to Tyler, Texas (East Texas).

Last edited:
Shipping

We are not always cheaper on standard kits, but most of the time we are better on the price.
One thing you can count on is that it will be delivered with the arrows pointing up! Email is the best option to get a quote and on the schedule.

The best time to book is when you order your kit. It gives us a much better chance to group it with a load that will save you money, If you wait to the last minute its a roll of the dice for us to have a truck headed in your direction.

One more thing. All pricing older than a week is obsolete due to the increase of fuel prices. We are approaching the 2008 levels on fuel. So any old quotes or prices paid are out the door. If a guy got kit x delivered last year at said price, its not going to work now.

Last edited:
sorry i can't help you out with an actual shipping cost, i picked mine up in person.

I did want to let you know you could strap the longeron box to a lumber rack that goes over the cab of a regular sized pickup truck and it works very well. put the skin box in the bed of the truck and you can pick up the whole load from any distribution hub, saving the home delivery charge.f

if you think you might want extra longerons now is the time to order them, they are not that expensive but the shipping is bad...

Data Point

Wings and Fuselage SB Kits shipping tomorrow!! Seems Van?s is now using Fedex Freight due to the fuel sur-charge from ABF.. She said something like 30%! Yikes! Fedex Freight from Aurora to Tyler Texas is running $475. Seems Van?s is getting 68% discount from them.

Emp and Wings to SLC FedEx Freight just over $200.00 to the house.

Only complaint was that they were 3 hours beyond the end of the delivery appointment cause someone put the AM deliveries at the FRONT of the trailer.

Seems a freight company would have that order figured out already.

Shipping Costs Update

Finishing Kit, Firewall Forward kit and Wiring Harness delivered for $446.24 to South Carolina on 4/4/11.

SW Louisiana

Ok, so far I have received the empennage, wings and fuselage for my sb rv8. Empennage was fed-ex and the other two were ABF trucking picked up at terminal about 45 miles away. The emp., wings and fuse were all shipped separately. I have right at 900 bucks total in shipping. I picked up wings and fuselage at the terminal because I was having trouble getting help lined up at my house due to the fact that I couldn't get a reasonable time frame in which they would come. That said, there was only about a 40 dollar discount on my wings for doing so. Now, when I called to inform them that I was changing my fuse from home delivery to terminal pickup, I was informed that the little distance from terminal to my house was "No Charge". So I recieved no discount. It bothered me a little bit, but when I saw my crates in perfect condition, that little bit of money no longer bothered me. Looking back now, I can say they are very courteous and professional, on time and this is a one time thing for me so I am pleased with them. Hope this helps you.

bird

Last edited:
Back