Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2021, 04:57 AM

Default What I did

My first RV-4 "ride" was in the back seat of a friends -4 with manual flaps. I immediately saw the drawback of the foot interference possibilities. I built my -4 with the VANs electric flap set-up that has all the bits to do it..very neat and tidy actuator under the floor. It uses a different/modified flap weldment and some bellcranks under the floor. I have also worked with at least 3 other -4s with the actuator mounted in the R/H sidewall and tied into the standard flap control weldment that worked very well. I have my flap actuation buttons on my stick along with electric aileron and elevator trim. Its nice to have hands on stick and throttle for everything. My pattern routine is usually short/tight with downwind entry around 140-120, throttle back base turn at 100 with full flap deployment and constant 180 degree turn to final that slows to 75-80. With full flaps and idle power if the nose isn't dropped, speed will diminish quickly and once below 65 it will drop like a rock. 99% of my flying I have a PAX (Wife LOVES to fly) so I like to keep the trim on the nose down side of neutral pressure because if you decide to do a go around with full flaps and a PAX be ready for the nose to pitch up and require significant stick push and re-trim. I would practice this scenario a few times. Have fun and enjoy the -4!!