What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS vs RMI Micro Monitor

Try previous threads

This has been discussed in length, try:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1009

Also try a search on EIS, GRT, Grand Rapids, and Rocky

The EIS4000 monitors all the EGT's and CHT's and has a sophisticated lean point page. See GRT web site explanation. As far as I know Rocky Mountain, you need a rotary switch and have no way to see all "channels" at the same time. I have EIS4000 and love it. G

Last edited:
I went back and forth on this myself before finally settling on the GRT. While I like the display better on the RMI, the ability to simultaneously monitor all EGT and CHT was the deciding factor. I've come to believe that the display is not really such a big deal since I'm gonna mostly let this device monitor things for me. If anything goes into the red, it'll let me know right away with a big ol' flashing red idiot light.

Steve Zicree
RV4 Finishing

Grt vs RMI

I have had both the RMI engine monitor and the GRT 4000, I like the GRT much better. The RMI (unless this has changed) displays temp. values in degrees celcius only, and can not be changed to read in degrees farenheit.
My GRT 4000 is working flawlessly and I love it. I think it even cost less than RMI too.
Kevin

Kevin,

I emailed Rocky Mountain about whether they planned to allow temps in either Celsius or Farenheit, and they responded that they had no plans to do so. This seemed to be a little lame, since they already do this with their other product. It looks like they have basically given up on this product. The GRT guys seem to be very attentive to user's needs, and I expect them to be in business for a long time.

Tracy.

EIS all the way

szicree said:
According to their website, the micromonitor DOES offer temps in both F and C.Steve Zicree RV4
Yes I think that is right RockyMt. does offer temps in F now. However you are still limited to a single CHT/EGT at a time with RockyMt. I also agree that the warning function is fantastic on the EIS, very flexible and user configured. I don't need to be watching the gages all the time with the alerting function.

Here is the set lean page in the EIS4000.
http://www.grtavionics.com/leanpage.htm

Also the Rate of cooling (shock cooling) alert is nice. This can only be done with all the CHT's watched at one time. Plus GRT, Greg (owner chief designer) and Sandy (the lady on the phone) are known for there friendly service.

Cheers George

Last edited:
I appologize for bad-mouthing Rocky Mountain. I was just put off by the response that I got back from my email to them. However, that was over a year ago, and it does look like they have finally added temps in both F and C to the monitor (note, their website says "finally").

I agree with George, that the single input for CHT/EGT temps is limiting, but if they are listening to their customers on the F/C issue, they may upgrade their product to handle multiple CHT/EGT inputs. It's nice to see a little competition on engine monitors, EFIS', etc. We all benifit.

Tracy.

Grt

Yes that big ole red idiot light is a good feature too, it really gets your attention. I have set mine off a few times shock cooling and on one occasion when I had an over voltage condition. I just hope it never goes off when I'm flying at night, would probably scare the hell out of me.
Kevin

Price

The final factor not mentioned. Once you add up all the probes and sensors the GRT EIS4000 will be cheaper. Believe it or not Spruce Aircraft has the cheapest price I heard on the basic EIS package, ($900 for the basic system), however if you want service with your purchase I know Stein air sells them and can help you more with questions. Bang for the buck the EIS4000 is the least expensive system approx $1,700-1,800 with Fuel flow, Cap fuel level and every probe you can think of.

BTW I just saw another new engine monitor in the EAA magazine, which now makes 10 or more Electronic engine monitors you can buy (some cost $4000-$5000):
Grand Rapids,
Rocky Mountain,
Adv flight Sys AF-2500,
Vision Micro system VM-1000,
JPI (who just bought out Vision Micro system),
I-K Technologies AIM-3000,
Electronics International Inc,
Dynon,
PCflightSystems EMON (for a pocketPC),
Insight GEM (CHT/EGT only)
Xerion Avionix EGView (new?)​

There are a few more I don't recall. I think with the fact Micro System and Adv flight system have been sold, I guess you want something you know might be around a while. Both GRT and Rockymountain have been around for a while.

Cheers George

Last edited:
...and don't forget those of us with an obsolete Allegro system.... :(

A supplier being around for a long time is a good thing....

gil in Tucson

Back