What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior Cold Air Sump

balog

Has anyone had any issues with the Superior cold air sump holes lining up with a Lycoming engine case? I purchased it for a Lycoming IO-360-B1E and the holes do not line up for the engine or assy case. Superior recommended that I ream the holes out to get it to fit. I was just wondering if others have done this or if the sump lined up for them.

Thanks

Has anyone had any issues with the Superior cold air sump holes lining up with a Lycoming engine case? I purchased it for a Lycoming IO-360-B1E and the holes do not line up for the engine or assy case. Superior recommended that I ream the holes out to get it to fit. I was just wondering if others have done this or if the sump lined up for them.

Thanks

I am curious as to how much they did not aline. I have a new Superior Cold Air Sump sitting in the box for use on a Lycoming case. There have been changes along the years to Lycoming cases but not sure if the part number for the gasket has changed with it.

Is there any way you can post a photo or send me a photo so that I can post to this thread?

I can post a picture next week but just from the assy case the holes are about 1/8th-1/4 hole off. I couldn't check the case real well as I would have had to pull the assy case off, the assy case has studs on it. Lining it up with the Lycoming gasket and quite a few holes are 1/4 to almost 1/2 off from the gasket.

The old sump lines up with the gasket really well.

That's odd! I installed a Superior Cold Air Sump on my Lycoming IO-360 B1E and it bolted right up with no problems at all! My engine is a little older than most and came out of a 76 Piper Arrow.

2en0092.jpg

Thanks for the picture. It is really strange that they do not line up. I figured it was an issue with the sump and superior didn't want to replace it as they said they will not guarantee that it works on a Lycoming. Guess I have a really expensive paper weight now! I appreciate the responses.

Thanks for the picture. It is really strange that they do not line up. I figured it was an issue with the sump and superior didn't want to replace it as they said they will not guarantee that it works on a Lycoming. Guess I have a really expensive paper weight now! I appreciate the responses.

The Superior Cold Air Sump is in demand and there will be no problem selling it here on VAF.

If I had the issue that you report, I would buy a Lycoming gasket, check how it fits to the crankcase, then check how it fits to the sump. If the gasket fits the crankcase and not the sump, there is a problem with the sump. If the gasket fits the sump but not the crankcase, there is a problem with the crankcase.

Not sure how many of the Superior Cold Air Sumps have been sold but your report is the first one that I have seen of it not fitting a Lycoming crankcase.

Go with Gary's suggestion! Gaskets are pretty stable. In any case, if the gasket matches the case and not the Sump, they should reconsider their position. There's an implied warranty that a part for a particular engine should fit (if the engine is "stock" dimension-wise)

Not sure how the Superior CAS is processed, but wonder if it was the first part of the run where temps, etc. hadn't settled in and QC missed it before it was shipped.

Back