What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Lube

Rick6a

Well Known Member
Item: I recently purchased a fuel cap as a spare part and in taking the time to read the instructions, I note it calls out using Fuel Lube on the O-rings and other moving parts. The instructions recommend routinely replacing the two O-rings on an annual basis. Seems like a good idea.

What exactly is "Fuel Lube" and where can it be bought? Searching the usual suspects....Wicks and Spruce, the only item I can find that seems suitable comes in a one pound can and costs in excess of $20. Though I'd like to, I really don't think I'm going to live for 500 years. Is there a fuel compatable lubricant out there approved for this application and can be purchased in smaller amounts such as might be contained a small toothpaste tube size?

I think the stuff I have is called EZ Turn--I got it from Spruce I believe. . I think "Fuel Lube" may be a generic name. It cost about $7.00 for a tube. Hope this helps

Fuel Lube is a brand name, but it is no longer made. EZ Turn is what is being sold by suppliers as a replacement for Fuel Lube. I haven't used EZ Turn but I'm told it's pretty much the same stuff.

EZ Turn from Wick's in a toothpaste tube. I use it all the time. I'm told (I think by Mahlon) that Fuel Lube is no longer manufactured under that brand name.

Larry

What can one use instead of Fuel Lube or EZ turn, for the folks not in the USA??
Is it absolutely required or can one do it dry?

Thanks Rudi

I would think any fuel safe pipe sealent would be fine. Loctite make some, I believe its is part number 565 PSTor 567 PST, which should be available outside the USA.

G-force said:
I would think any fuel safe pipe sealent would be fine. Loctite make some, I believe its is part number 565 PSTor 567 PST, which should be available outside the USA.

Mike... this should be good as a thread sealer, but I wouldn't be sure about it's properties on a fuel cap O-ring, which was the original question....

Some of the thread sealers harden up over time... this wouldn't be good on an O-ring.... :(

gil in Tucson

RudiGreyling said:
What can one use instead of Fuel Lube or EZ turn, for the folks not in the USA??
Is it absolutely required or can one do it dry?

Thanks Rudi
I would look at a high vacuum silicone grease as used in laboratories for ground glass fittings. Check that it is not soluble in your fuel.

az_gila said:
Mike... this should be good as a thread sealer, but I wouldn't be sure about it's properties on a fuel cap O-ring, which was the original question....

Some of the thread sealers harden up over time... this wouldn't be good on an O-ring.... :(

gil in Tucson

Gotcha...then how about Parker O Lube? Its an oring lube about the consistancy of thick maple syrup.

fuel lube?

It was recommended to use "fuel lube" on the threads of the fuel tank-drain.
I went to Canadian-Tire (a Canadian automotive store) and asked about this, but they hadn't heard of "fuel lube". I searched the shelf of lubricants but found nothing that was advertised as being for fuel system components.
What is a suitable lubricant for this? Also perhaps for lubricating the rubber seal on the fuel-cap ?

Parker O-ring lube is not the answer. It must dissolve when fuel touches it. Mine are dry again after a couple of days after using Parker O-ring lube. I'll switch to EZ turn.

I use Lubriplate. Clean and re-lube at annual.

Haven't changed the "O" rings since the "new" caps came out sometime in the 1990's.

How about Permatex?

I have the same question in regard to the fuel line fittings that are to be installed on my fuel pump. The Manual says to use "Fuel Lube" on the fittings.

As an alternative to no-longer-available "Fuel Lube", can I use high-temperature Permatex? That's what I've been using as a sealant on the other lines. Is this acceptable?

Rob Erdos
Ottawa
RV-6 some day...

Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease

A previous post mentioned this for sealing glass , DOW CORNING HIGH VACUUM GREASE. I don't have source to suggest as I have had mine for many years, but this stuff is insoluble,slick and fills gaps. It feels like a HIGH VISCOSITY vasoline. Hope this helps someone.

Back