- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:29 PM

Default Factory Pick up

I am currently planning on picking up my RV-10 QB wings, fuselage, finish and firewall forward this coming mid summer.

Crating charges for these kits runs up rather quickly, and my primary reason for the factory pick up is cost savings. At the same time, the crating is for kit protection during the shipping process. For me to fly up to the factory, and be back home by U-Haul is only a day or two of my time.

Those of you have picked up their kits at the factory, did you have all, none or any items crated? Would you do so again?

Thanks,
Old 02-02-2021, 10:31 PM

I have done it twice and did not have any crating done. It saves you money and it saves you time not to have to uncrate.
I will be doing it again for sure. A one way ticket to Portland, pick up a U-haul truck unless you have your own truck and a trip back home. Exciting times.
Dues paid
Old 02-03-2021, 01:11 AM

I flew commercial to Portland, got the U haul, drove to vans then home (Bay Area) in one long day (arrived home at 2 am). No crating, but do rent lots of blankets and have plenty of rope. Certainly saved a bundle of cash. Driving one of these trucks in the right hand lane also teaches you how bad the roads are!
Old 02-03-2021, 06:18 AM

I would also look into insurance, I read an article a few years ago about that. My take on it was get insurance.
first flight May 2, 1997
RV8 #83830 tail done, wing done, fuselage done.
Working on the finish kit.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:46 AM

Hopefully some of the savings are tax $$$!

-Marc
Old 02-03-2021, 10:34 AM

I second the easy "will-call" process. I've done it a few times and the shipping folks have always had what I was picking up sitting out back on either pallets or an open crate. It's just a matter of driving out back (call to get gate access when you get there) and then load the items into your vehicle.

The last time I did wiil-call, I inventoried the kit as I put it into my truck and discovered I was missing a bag, which they were able to just bring out to me.

It's always been a good experience, and in non-pandemic times, you can generally swing a tour of the facility too. Definitely worth it if you're within driving distance.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post

-Marc
Since you list your address as CA and CA has a ‘sales or use’ tax, there are no tax savings.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post

-Marc
Not only will you be taxed at the time of your purchase, (Van's is required to collect for California) if you sell your kit later to someone in California, they will be taxed AGAIN for the same kit.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Save the Planet…...............It’s the only place that has beer!
Old 02-03-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric P View Post
I am currently planning on picking up my RV-10 QB wings, fuselage, finish and firewall forward this coming mid summer.

Crating charges for these kits runs up rather quickly, and my primary reason for the factory pick up is cost savings. At the same time, the crating is for kit protection during the shipping process. For me to fly up to the factory, and be back home by U-Haul is only a day or two of my time.

Those of you have picked up their kits at the factory, did you have all, none or any items crated? Would you do so again?

Thanks,
Talk to U-Haul about a discount because you are returning the truck to the bay area...... My discount was 75% and that was way back when people were happy with CA...........

Back then, Van's loaded the U-Haul, and John Morgan took me to lunch.... a FREE lunch...
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Save the Planet…...............It’s the only place that has beer!
Old 02-03-2021, 12:38 PM

The taxes are something I will still need to figure out. If picked up at the factory, Van’s does not charge the sales tax. So, exactly when the State takes it’s pound of flesh is still something I need to work out.