Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Best Workbenches for RV-10

No I am not building The Ten A friend of mine is about to plunge into an adventure, fitting his shop and is asking my advice what size suits the best to build RV-10. The control surfaces are bigger, longer and corresponding tables should be larger than standard EAA benches? Anyway, would appreciate advice and/or pictures of your workbenches guys, his web-searching skills and command of foreign language is getting better and better... Please post your experience and references.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:14 PM

I built two EAA benches and had a large rolling table (approx. 4X6 surface) that had electrical outlets on each side and a cable to plug it into a wall outlet. My vise was on the rolling table. I built my RV-10 with this setup and it worked well. I was able to lay a wing across the two EAA tables when I wanted to work on them laying flat, but did quite a bit of the wing work in the cradles. I built a couple of short saw horses to support the fuselage in the early part of the construction. Used regular height saw horses while assembling the tailcone. I had an air manifold from from Cleavland http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/p...umber=ACDLXKIT mounted on one of the EAA benches. Very nice to be able to plug my compressor into the manifold and use the light weight quick disconnect hoses to have multiple air tools hooked up and ready to go.
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 11-07-2009, 02:31 PM

I've found having a "hollow core" interior door around to use as an extra work bench very handy. They are straight and light and can be thrown across a couple saw horses when you need an extra straight, flat work area.
www.oncloud7.com
Old 11-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Like David, I used two of the standard EAA benches.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:11 PM

I went to local university surplus and found a 10' table to work with. It's one of the steel folding leg types, not the cheap ones you get from office supply but heavy duty. The top is a bit marred but not warped; I can always top it with some particle board if I need to. Cost? $25, plus having to pick through the other tables they had to find one not badly damaged. I'm going back Monday for an 8'X3' desk and a good file cabinet; this is perfect hangar furniture and the price is right.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 11-09-2009, 04:05 AM

I built a 12'x4' table. Frame was 2x4, braced and the top clad with flooring board. Also a lower shelf for storage. Its big but no problems with the wings or flaps. Now they are nearly finished, I amy well cut it in half to make room to work on the fuselage!
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made
Old 11-09-2009, 12:18 PM

What ever table you do end up using, put a MDF (medium density fiberboard) top on it. Make it removable. There are a lot of holes to drill/ream and you can just drill right into the table top, when one side has too many holes, you can just flip it over or throw it away. Worth the 25 bucks.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Default Build tables

Well I am in the middle of building the tail of a rv-10, and I did build 2 ea of the EAA tables. Tey work out just fine and even with the larger control surfaces. I just place them end to end and made braces to bile them together if needed to keep them alligned.

Nice size especailly when building bigger parts that are not on the tables like the tail cone they dont take up to much of the very valuable garage space.

If you have any questions shoot me a e-mail and will be glad to send pics.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:02 AM

EAA tables are fine but you can do better...If you are going to build tables make sure you make provision for a couple of very nice addons

Go here
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ead.php?t=1624

Regards
Rudi

Last edited by Mike S : 11-10-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Default Just built mine today.

Two 30"W X 84"L X 36"H, 4" Fixed casters on one end and swivel on other, 2" lip all the way around. Also building 36" square work station for 6" bench grinder, small drill press, small combination sander, small Delta bandsaw with no wheels.