Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:57 AM

Default Baffle material?

Hello all,
So I am working on the baffles and noticed others appear to have used material other than what Vans supplies in the kit. I have two links below to other products I have seen. I was wondering if any of you have input on whether it is better to look for a better material than what Vans supplies. I notice that Mcfarlane has a nice sales pitch for their cowl saver material but a little pricey - anyone used this product before ....after using something else and notice a big difference?

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr...seal-material/

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=4767

Thanks !

Donation Made 2020
Old 12-12-2020, 11:19 AM

I have the 1/8" red version of the one Aircraft Spruce sells on my Cessna. In a couple places, it's tearing - not much, but it is. And where it rubs the aluminum cowl, it's wearing into the cowl.

I don't plan to use that material on my RV-3B.

Dave
Old 12-12-2020, 12:32 PM

I have always had great luck with the material Vans supplies. Trick is in the details of a good installation.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:35 PM

Default baffle

Brownaircraft.com

RV-10
Phase I COMPLETE!

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 12-12-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnovak1220 View Post
Hello all,
So I am working on the baffles and noticed others appear to have used material other than what Vans supplies in the kit. I have two links below to other products I have seen. I was wondering if any of you have input on whether it is better to look for a better material than what Vans supplies. I notice that Mcfarlane has a nice sales pitch for their cowl saver material but a little pricey - anyone used this product before ....after using something else and notice a big difference?

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr...seal-material/

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=4767

Thanks !
I used the McFarlane Cowl Saver baffle material when I built my RV-10. Their demo at airventure made me a believer. I would use it again on my RV-9A, but am going to use a plenum on this one. The Cowl Saver material is not as flexible as the stuff Vans supplies so at the front of the engine, I used the Vans material and using pro seal as the adhesive and glued a strip of the cowl saver on the cowling itself where the material meets.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 12-12-2020, 01:17 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I was sent some samples of the McFarlane Cowl-Saver material, and it is nice - but I didn’t feel it was going to do anything that the Van’s material wouldn’t - I’ve used the Van’s stuff on all our airplanes, and haven’t had any issues. Fit it properly so you don’t have any folds or creases to let air through.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-12-2020, 01:54 PM

For those of you who have used the McFarlane product, what is your take on their claim of reduced vibrations, and of reduced wear on the cowl and associated fasteners?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:40 AM

I used the cowl savers material and liked it. The idea around it is that their material is very slippery on the top side that meets up with the cowl thus not transferring the vibration from the engine to the cowl. I put it on our -10 which had a 3 blade prop and was already smooth so I can't swear it did anything better but I will say it was very slippery material and their claim makes sense. they have a video online somewhere where it shows less vibration on the cowl with it on.
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 12-13-2020, 07:49 AM

I originally had the Vans supplied material. I noticed that material started to get wavy and it was showing areas where air was getting through. I wanted a better sealed cowling and lower CHTs so I replaced it with the aircraft spruce silicone stuff. It seals much better on mine. CHTs were noticeable cooler and I could visually see air was not getting through. It stays more pliable over time.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:57 AM

Thanks so much everyone for the input. Really helps to understand these things when you hear peoples experiences in their builds. What Great Forum!

Donation Made 2020