Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2020, 11:55 AM

Default quick disconnect for co-pilot stick question

Hey all- Gonna go with the button spring clip for a quick disconnect on the co-pilot stick.

Looks to me like positioning the hole at 12:00 gives the most access thru the stick boot cutout to push the button when you want to remove the stick, but the Vans service letter has you drill the hole for a bolt at 3:00-9:00, so presumably they like that positioning better, for whatever reason.

For those of you who've gone this route, how did you clock the hole for easiest access to get your finger on the button? If you did 3:00 - 9:00 did you regret it, or is it eezee peezee?

FYI- not planning a push to talk or any of that other claptrap on the co-pitot stick, so this is strictly a question of ease of removal.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 11-03-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Hey all- Gonna go with the button spring clip for a quick disconnect on the co-pilot stick.
What is this button spring clip you speak of?
I've envisioned something like that but never seen a part or kit or anything. Link?
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020
Old 11-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6n6r View Post
I've envisioned something like that but never seen a part or kit or anything. Link?
People sometimes call them pit pins. I think they are formally called ball-lock pins.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 11-03-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Looks to me like positioning the hole at 12:00 gives the most access thru the stick boot cutout to push the button when you want to remove the stick, but the Vans service letter has you drill the hole for a bolt at 3:00-9:00, so presumably they like that positioning better, for whatever reason.

For those of you who've gone this route, how did you clock the hole for easiest access to get your finger on the button? If you did 3:00 - 9:00 did you regret it, or is it eezee peezee?

FYI- not planning a push to talk or any of that other claptrap on the co-pitot stick, so this is strictly a question of ease of removal.
The 3:00--9:00 position is stronger. Guidelines for control system strength specify design requirements for pilot stick force in pitch and roll. The pitch force is much bigger. If the hole was at 12:00, you would be putting a stress concentration hole in the location of highest stress due to bending in the stick.

Now practically speaking, this will almost never be a problem. But if there is a control jam of some sort that motivates a pilot to pull hard on the stick, you really don't want it to break.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 11-03-2020, 01:33 PM

Default Snap button

Quote:
This is what some have been using:

https://www.valcocleve.com/c-type-c-series/

I used part number C-131 for my rear seat stick attachment. I wouldn't suggest this type of connection for the primary stick, but I'm OK with the function for co-pilot.
RV8 N37PK

Last edited by SMRacer : 11-03-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
People sometimes call them pit pins. I think they are formally called ball-lock pins.
I'm thinking of a spring / button internal to the stick, where you push the button or buttons (180 degrees) on the outside of the stick to release. Does that exist? I found one post with a link (Bruce Hill) but it doesn't have any detail about the spring / button, https://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-P...laps-and-Trim/
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020
Old 11-03-2020, 01:46 PM

I use a quick release pin that goes all the way through. It is at 6:00 so you pull the pin towards you to release it. For a push button I would think 12:00 would be easiest for removal. I would be concerned with 3:00 and 9:00 (and 6:00) possable letting the button press against your passenger's leg and re-leasing.
It's not likely... but if I can invision it, it can happen. So many times I have done my control check and my wife's i-pad or coffee cup, or whatever is hitting the stick.
1978 PA38-112
Old 11-03-2020, 01:58 PM

I use a button pin at the 6:00 position and love it. I cannot believe that a pull in any direction could break the stick. The button pins do nothing more than hold the stick in the receiver? Stole the idea and never looked back. :-)

McMaster-Carr

# 94282A250 Spring Steel Button Pins for Telescoping Tubing, Single-Button Dog-Leg, for 1/2" to 3/4" Tubing ID, packs of 10
pack
Sep 10
per pack

Last edited by Larco : 11-03-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
There is no kit. Vans used to be cool with literally just stuffing the co-pilot stick in the socket with nothing holding it their other than happy thoughts. Eventually, somebody pulled up instead of laterally and the stick came out in their hand while they were landing.

Vans came out with service letter SB-07-2-6 that calls for you to drill a hole all the way through the assy at 3:00-9:00 orientation and stick an AN3 bolt in there.

Seems like overkill and makes it inconvenient to remove the co-pilot stick.

I'm not really worried about making the stick weaker; I found some buttons like the links others have posted in their replies above that are only 4mm, which is basically the same diameter as a #8 screw. Basically just want to know which clocking is most convenient for getting my fingers down in the cutout to push the button if I want to take the stick out.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 11-03-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
There is no kit. Vans used to be cool with literally just stuffing the co-pilot stick in the socket with nothing holding it their other than happy thoughts. Eventually, somebody pulled up instead of laterally and the stick came out in their hand while they were landing.

Vans came out with service letter SB-07-2-6 that calls for you to drill a hole all the way through the assy at 3:00-9:00 orientation and stick an AN3 bolt in there.

Seems like overkill and makes it inconvenient to remove the co-pilot stick.

I'm not really worried about making the stick weaker; I found some buttons like the links others have posted in their replies above that are only 4mm, which is basically the same diameter as a #8 screw. Basically just want to know which clocking is most convenient for getting my fingers down in the cutout to push the button if I want to take the stick out.
At least from 1994 when I built my first -6, the plans called for a AN3 bolt through the stick.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA