Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 PM

I took the shipping boxes from Van, flipped them over, and put 2x4 legs on them. Pulling all the staples holding the 2x2s was a pain but it sure makes a great table.
I started out with just a folding banquet table with MDF on top - still use it.
John
Old 12-25-2020, 07:56 PM

Default updates?

Looks like search produced a very old thread.
I'm going to need to build my workbenches. Given I'm starting from scratch, what is the latest thinking? EAA benches with lip for clamping?

Something longer than EAA?
Old 12-25-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonkelm View Post
Looks like search produced a very old thread.
I'm going to need to build my workbenches. Given I'm starting from scratch, what is the latest thinking? EAA benches with lip for clamping?

Something longer than EAA?

I built two EAA benches but with overhanging lips for clamping. Then I placed the two tables a few inches apart, leveled them so they present a flat plane with a gap in the middle. The tables have a shelf between them on which I can install my DRDT-2 when needed for dimpling long skins, or remove it when I need the full length for something else. I built the wings across these two tables.

Now that I'm on the fuselage, I'm finding that I'm able to build most of the parts (up through section 28) on them, but I'm going to build a low-slung fuselage stand and/or a rotisserie with two engine mounts for the later part of the fuselage build.

I actually built two non-standard EAA tables as well (8 feet long x 2ft wide each) but ended up using them as workbenches as the more standard size ones are adequate for most of the RV-10 assembly.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:05 AM

Thanks! I see some folks have 8' tables so I wasn't sure of the EAA versus the 8'. I will be going with a DRDT-2 and read about doing what you have, using a shelf between two connected EAA tables. I may go this route unless others find a more optimal solution or see issues with this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
I built two EAA benches but with overhanging lips for clamping. Then I placed the two tables a few inches apart, leveled them so they present a flat plane with a gap in the middle. The tables have a shelf between them on which I can install my DRDT-2 when needed for dimpling long skins, or remove it when I need the full length for something else. I built the wings across these two tables.

Now that I'm on the fuselage, I'm finding that I'm able to build most of the parts (up through section 28) on them, but I'm going to build a low-slung fuselage stand and/or a rotisserie with two engine mounts for the later part of the fuselage build.

I actually built two non-standard EAA tables as well (8 feet long x 2ft wide each) but ended up using them as workbenches as the more standard size ones are adequate for most of the RV-10 assembly.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:15 AM

Default workbench kit

Vic used two 4X8 workbenches using these brackets. You can make the workbench any size.
https://www.rockler.com/workbench-le...nBoCbBwQAvD_Bw
Old 12-26-2020, 11:37 AM

Here's what I use. You can make it any size and they are sturdy and simple, plus they have tops that can be flipped.

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=160679

Dave
Old 12-26-2020, 12:30 PM

While I have two EAA workbenches (mounted on wheels) that I clamp together, either end to end, or side by side, what I build most all wings and control surfaces on are two sawhorses padded with moving blankets; i just lay the spar on the sawhorses and build on that.

Basically, don’t really need anything fancy or large, so I’d say just use whatever you have a build on.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:41 PM

I have two sets of those legs (8). I was thinking of tearing down what I had and making to new dimensions. The legs are very sturdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolsyracuse View Post
Vic used two 4X8 workbenches using these brackets. You can make the workbench any size.
https://www.rockler.com/workbench-le...nBoCbBwQAvD_Bw
Old 12-27-2020, 01:19 AM

Default Flexibility is key

Whatever you choose to do, flexibility is key. You will need to reconfigure your work area as you go along. I always maintained at least one bench for assembly and parts prep. The balance of the work area was constantly reconfigured based on the needs of the part I was working on.

Here is a photo showing my basic bench(s) made of 2X4s, 2x6s to support the top. I had two of these. I added a sheet of 1/2" plywood (wafer board to be exact) ripped in half for two tables for the sacrificial layer, then outdoor carpet (the cheep stuff pre-cut from home depot) to provide a scratch resistant surface to work on. This was replaced as needed since it gets pretty beat up. The basic dimensions are 2' X 8' by 36" high. They are very strong and solid.

The work surface behind the table was my tool area and location for all of the small part organizer bins. It looks a mess, but was actually well organized so I could access almost any tool or part quickly.

[IMG][/IMG]

Beyond the tables, lots of storage space for both large and small components will be needed, As will saw horses, special fixtures for wings, stabilizer, etc. You will also need to make provision for priming components as well as possibly painting if you choose to do that as well.
Dues paid 2020
Old 12-27-2020, 04:54 AM

Very helpful, thank you very much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok View Post
Whatever you choose to do, flexibility is key. You will need to reconfigure your work area as you go along. I always maintained at least one bench for assembly and parts prep. The balance of the work area was constantly reconfigured based on the needs of the part I was working on.

Here is a photo showing my basic bench(s) made of 2X4s, 2x6s to support the top. I had two of these. I added a sheet of 1/2" plywood (wafer board to be exact) ripped in half for two tables for the sacrificial layer, then outdoor carpet (the cheep stuff pre-cut from home depot) to provide a scratch resistant surface to work on. This was replaced as needed since it gets pretty beat up. The basic dimensions are 2' X 8' by 36" high. They are very strong and solid.

The work surface behind the table was my tool area and location for all of the small part organizer bins. It looks a mess, but was actually well organized so I could access almost any tool or part quickly.

[IMG][/IMG]

Beyond the tables, lots of storage space for both large and small components will be needed, As will saw horses, special fixtures for wings, stabilizer, etc. You will also need to make provision for priming components as well as possibly painting if you choose to do that as well.