- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:53 AM

Default A bit disappointed

So, the wife and I decided to begin an RV-10 build. I'm still preparing the work space and procuring tools and such. Haven't even gotten to the point of ordering a kit yet, but that's mere days away.

A couple weeks ago I ordered the plans on USB and they arrived yesterday. I realize they aren't going to be totally up to date, etc, but what I got was disappointing after all the wonderful things I've heard about Vans. I got a thumb drive of about a hundred seemingly random pdfs, with no organization of file names, nothing pulling it all together. Seems like section 1 is missing, although I'll have to look at each of the 68 files in the main directory to know for sure.

Maybe I had my expectations set too high, but I'm less than impressed by this first transaction.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:57 AM

Yes, your expectations were a bit high.

If this is your first airplane build, there will be a lot of confusion at first and then lots of ongoing questions.

The forum is the glue and filler in between the gaps in your knowledge and what Van's Aircraft provides.

You'll enjoy the experience, get to building

Note that you will get a printed manual with the empennage kit.

Edit: Also, the various kits and things like the engine have considerable shipping times right now so be prepared for long waits.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 12-01-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:04 AM

Default Plans

Were you going to print the build plans off your computer? Or use the computer as you were building? I would just order the plans to start with. I would assume that like the 14, plans come printed with each build kit, you assemble them and put into your binder. And then build from there.

Good luck and enjoy the build

RV 14A 140507 flying
2020 Donation paid
Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 AM

An RV is not an assembly kit. Put part A into part B. NO
When (IF) u finish & fly your RV, u will have attained a MASTERS degree or even a DOCTORATE in PROBLEM RESOLUTION. Whatever u have received so far may be testing u ??
RV 7A RV #9700 May 2017
N325KS the Flying K
Built in SoCal KCCB, now in GA @ KPXE
600+ Hours & 7X cross the USA
OSH flyin 2018 & 2019 & Petit Jean 2019
Old 12-01-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Stern View Post
Were you going to print the build plans off your computer? Or use the computer as you were building? I would just order the plans to start with. I would assume that like the 14, plans come printed with each build kit, you assemble them and put into your binder. And then build from there.

Good luck and enjoy the build

RV 14A 140507 flying
2020 Donation paid
I just wanted to get a head start on reading up on the build. But it'll take me a few hours just to figure out where the heck to start reading. I was expecting something with some sort of organization to it. Not 100 random documents. The fact that "section 1" isn't easily found annoys me in particular. I expected at least a table of contents for the 100 files....

Last edited by salty : 12-01-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:11 AM

When the printed plans come they are in order. I organized and renamed my electronic docs, while I agree they should do it, it didn't take much effort. I use them in the office to study and to find things in inventory. I do have a laptop I use sometimes during building.

RV8 N189DK
RV10 in progress
Old 12-01-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtac View Post
When the printed plans come they are in order. I organized and renamed my electronic docs, while I agree they should do it, it didn't take much effort. I use them in the office to study and to find things in inventory. I do have a laptop I use sometimes during building.
Yeah, I'm finding what I was looking for after browsing around for awhile. I found part of the TOC in one file, and the rest in another.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:26 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
Yeah, I'm finding what I was looking for after browsing around for awhile. I found part of the TOC in one file, and the rest in another.
And in the process you have gotten a good overview of the doc package.....
Old 12-01-2020, 08:27 AM

I combined all the files in Adobe to be one set of plans. At least the -14 plans are all numbered so it wasn't too hard. I don't know about the -10 plans.

I put the paper plans in a box and have been building exclusively off the digital plans.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:41 AM

Be aware that as time goes on, Van's makes subtle (and not so subtle) changes to parts and procedures, and the digital plans may not reflect what you get shipped in the kit. For instance, I bought the digital plans in 2015, and the wing kit in 2016 or 2017, and sometime in between, Van's upgraded the RV-10 kit based on new designs and procedures for the RV-14, and the digital plans were out of date. It took me a few hours to realize why the plans (digitlal) were telling me to do things with parts that weren't even in inventory, and then opened the paper plans and saw that the flap and aileron construction was shortened by 2 or 3 pages and greatly simplified.

The digital plans are great as a reference, and especially if you want to search for a part number (to see when that hole they tell you not to dimple on page X gets dimpled on Page X+20)! But make sure you are building to the paper plans shipped with your kit.