What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 build time

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi there.

I built a QB RV-9A. This took me 5 years and 2.000 hours work. Mainly because it was my first airplane, I had to change 3 times the place where I built and made my airplane IFR "rated".

I feel that my -9A is a good airplane, but I need a more nervous airplane for doing some acro. And I like building, so I would like to start a new project.

Initially, I was thinking on a -7, but after having read that the -4 is probably the best Van's product, together with the -3, I would like to build a -4.

This time, I will build it inside my home, in the living room (8 meters * 3,70). I was wondering how many hours should I roughly consider to complete the airplane, provided that I will dress it with minimal stuff (1 EFIS/EMS, strobe lights, 1 COMM, 1 XNDR). 2.000 will be enough?

I would like to hear some completion times from other members, in order to make an average...

Thanks.
Camillo

Everyone is different. Your experience will help move things along faster but it will not go together as fast as a prepunched kit. Putting a specific time on it would be pretty hard to do.
Ryan

Like Ryan said, it is going to be highly dependent on a lot of factors that can't be predicted...but I can tell you that I took just over 1,000 hours to build my RV-8 (QB),and it took us 2,000 hours to build the subsequent RV-3 (QB-wings and a prebuilt tail). the -3 kit is more like the -4 kit.

Paul

Depends

Like the others have said lots of variables here!!

With a 3 or 4 there is a lot more work, and it all depends on what other things in life get in the way. My 4 is nearing completion it has been for the last 6 years, but building a 9 got in the way in my case.

But I took the first wing to the airfield today on the trailer so........ it might be flying soon.

So, it seems that 2.000 hours for a slow build kit is slightly optimistic.
Thank-you for your answers.
I will investigate some other aspect and then decide.
Thanks.
Camillo

Back